The Planted Tank Forum banner

Giving away: honey/red robin gourami

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  aznrice247 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys! I have two honey gouramis that I thought would be a great pair for my 10 gallon. Unfortunately, it turned out that they are both males, and so the larger one always chases the smaller one in sight. Don't worry, the larger one only chases other gouramis smaller than it. He has never harmed any of my guppies, cories, or bettas. Not even my guppy fry hehe. He's a gentle creature except to the other honey. He may occasionally pick on a snail though.

Here's the fish in question:

He's in a "punishment" container for chasing the little one too much! Just kidding; he kept moving and I needed a picture. He's a beauty and very fun to watch!

See less See more
#2 ·
hahahaha punishment container. I used to have a Giant Red Tail Gourami those things are kinda scary but mine wasn't aggressive towards my blood parrots which i still have.

if you want a female you needa get one that isn't as colorful, because the males gotta attract the female's with their vibrant colors.

I would take it but I'm currently taking care of shrimp and fish + shrimp = shrimps hiding or free food for the fish when they find the baby shrimplets.

#3 ·
Haha I don't think these are pure honeys as they don't have the black underbellies.

It's alright because I have a friend who's going to take him! :D

#5 ·
I wanted a pair because one would be too bland at the time and I only had cories in my tank at the time. xD Also, I'm always in the impression that I can make the fish fall in love with each other and swim together all the time and stuff. Of course, that was when I was a nubcake at aquariums. Now I know better to not want fish breeding in my tank due to overcrowding issues.

#6 ·
hahahaha no worries we've all been there. At best breed some guppies. or zebra danios * i prefer long fin ones* if you seem to have an abundance well pass em out to your friends!

I know where your commin from I used to do that with guppies but I had em breed for nice looking babies. But if you want fish to swim together, just get some schooling fish. *danio's are an example. Ohhh neon tetras are pretty flashy too!

#7 ·
Hahahaha I have a momma guppy right now that's kind of a loner since her mate died from fin rot. It spread too quick for me to medicate. She gave birth a bit later and now all but one got eaten. I now have a juvenile guppy and a newborn guppy to keep her company!

I made the mistake of buying peppered cories, which should be in a bigger tank since they grow up to like 2.8 inches. But at the moment they're the oldest fish I've had so I want to keep them. I don't know where I can give away my fish though :( My tank has become overcrowded with the latest addition of a betta I won at a fair. He's not aggressive and all talk but no walk. A little flaring to show off but never actually fighting. :p I hope he and my female betta don't mate. >.> That's going to be a mess.

#8 ·
sorry about you loss D: hmmm the friend that is taking in your gourami can't take the cories as well? but I know whatcha mean. I didn't want to give away my 6 comet goldfishes when I was converting the tank to a shrimp tank. I had em for 3 years and I got so attached but I had no way of keepin them and I gave them to a friend that I met this year. She lives close and we are pretty close friends.

mmm if I could I'd love to keep long finned danios and neon tetras in my shrimp tank.
so how did you get into the hobby?

#10 ·
I thought the dwarf gourami was taken by her friend...

vanyvanny, are you giving away the cories? Also, if that female betta's in with the male, you might want to add another female. I've tried that before, in small and larger tanks, and the male usually spent all day chasing the females. Hence multiple females.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.