The Planted Tank Forum banner

C02: Buy tank or rent?

838 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  dmagerl 
#1 ·
I am living in Washington Heights and wonder if I should purchase a tank of my own and go to get it filled, or just "rent" on from a supply store?

I don't really know a place to get it filled, and from what I've read most places just switch out the tanks and give you a filled one.

Which would be most convenient?

#7 ·
Don't these places usually make you put a deposit down on the tank and you would just exchange their tank for another and get the deposit back when you're no longer need their tanks.
I asked this at the local Airgas welding supplier and their reaction was like I sprouted a second head on the spot. I had to buy the tank from them and it keeps getting swapped when empty. When I no longer need CO2, its my tank to dispose of as I see fit.

The first tank + CO2 cost something like $125. Subsequent swaps are $16. Thats for a 10lb tank.

The local fire extinguisher place will refill my other shiny aluminum tank for $20 but its not "while I wait". They send it out and it takes a few days to come back.

#4 ·
Unless you have a shop close by that refill on the spot, it would be better to do a swap. Try to find a used one on craigslist. I think it is cheaper to buy an empty tank online then refill or swap it, should be cheaper than getting one from a welding shop. Also you can pay a deposit to the welding shop and just do the swap until you no longer need the tank, then return for your deposit. Check with your local store. I did swapped my shiny tank for a not so pretty steel tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.