The Planted Tank Forum banner

Planter becoming too adictive

8K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  Mariostg 
#1 ·
Is there a cure?
I have another planter in progress. Thinkering now how to setup the pum. I guess I could add a dedicated pump or split the output from the canister filter.

Full blurb here Planter over 29 Gal tank

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Indeed, I have seen before the thread that you suggested. And earlier today I was actually looking at the thread you have on you signature.

I could no longer wait, I fed the outflow of my canister filter to the planter. Reduced the flow for now.

Showing the water dripping back in the tanks. I extended the piece of textile, was too noisy.

Canister filter output feeding the planter

The big mess in the tank

#5 ·
Dont lose heart with the cloudy water it should eventually clear. Im very interested to see how your geo textile fabric works long term, it looks like it could either act like a giant piece of filter floss, or act as a planting medium for lots of additional plants to grow on the spillway or even if you dont plant anything for clippings to drift to and self start like some of the planted hob filter threads

#6 ·
The water is actually looking better today. :) Spillway, I like that term. I threw in some moss today. Hopefully it will grow and spread. I am also pretty sure that eventually some snails will climb their way up.

Looking forward to set another one on my 75 gal this time.

#8 ·
Yes, that is what it appears to me too. It just seem to me that it was easier to give some foothold to the plants that are a little above the surface, without squishing too much the roots. The bottom is actually fillled with lava rock. So eventually, the dirt will just sink in

#13 ·
#14 ·
Added a fern and moved HOB

I think tonight conclude (for now) the process if adding new plants. I will let this go for a while and enjoy the growth.

Added a fern in a shower caddy:

Moved the HOB I had on my 15 gal and put it on the 29 gal. Oh, also tucked in a sweep potato in the HOB. Don't know what to expect from this.

Bump:
I can confirm this! My planted HOB has nothing in it but coarse filter sponge, grows like crazy

Haven't taken a pic for a while, but the dragon's tongue is HUGE, a big ball that sticks way up over that shelf.
I should really setup a bottle like you did. My planter really increase evaporation rate. Or maybe it's the plants...

#11 ·
I really like this concept and your simple design. this is quite similar to some aquaponics systems that I've seen elsewhere. Keep us updated on how your prayer plant does. I'll be very curious to see since I have one myself. It's such an awesome looking plant I am determined to have it thrive.

Agree with the poster above about the soil. Using hydroculture media (ex. LECA, Hydroton) will be less messy and could probably even be better for your plants - given that you dose ferts separately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.