The Planted Tank Forum banner

2.5g Lighting... LED's or CFL?

699 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  kep 
#1 ·
I have a 2.5g tank running "flawlessly" currently but I'm interested to know what level of lighting you guys would put me at. Currently I run a 23watt CFL in a metal work shop light about 12-16" above the tank. The light stays on for 7~ hours straight.

What lighting would my current set up put me at?

I also have this LED LIGHT and I was wandering if someone could also tell me what that would put me at as far as lighting? Also if someone cared to explain the general rule for LED lighting... Thanks!

#2 ·
From my research (and limited experience) I would guesstimate you are at the low range. The closer you put the light to the tank the higher it would go. If you had it right on the tank I would say you're at high light. I have two 23w CFLs mounted 4" from the water on a 9g and growing high light plants with CO2 and ferts. I think the one 23w bulb is probably better than the LED you linked to depending on how deep your tank is.

From what I have seen there isn't a "rule" for LED lighting because there are so many different types each one is on its own playing field. That's why people (at least me) are constantly searching for PAR data on different lights. PAR is a light measurement and depending on the number at your substrate is what lighting level you are at.

The more PAR you have the more you need to think about co2 and fertilizers because otherwise you're in algae city.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.