The Planted Tank Forum banner

Shallow 30 Gallon Cube tank - DIY everything

32K views 130 replies 42 participants last post by  griffin_pak 
#1 · (Edited)
I will update this thread as I go along, enjoy!

UPDATE: DE-RIMMING IT! pics attached!

This is what it looks like today: (updated Aug 30th)
<this image will be updated every so often>

30 Gallon with dimensions of 25x25x12
Today:

My only regret with this tank:
I wish I had dropped another 50$ to get this tank rimless (no longer the case!)
<this list will grow over time, Im sure>

See less See more
#5 ·
I was thinking about that, but I am afraid of:
- might crack the tank!
- sharp unsightly edges of the glass (non finished??)
- spoke with the tank builder, they confirm that the rim doesnt play any role in structurally
- plus its only 12 inch high, and bottom rim is hidden by my stand

- I own a dremel, Don't know if I should do it!!!

(no water in tank as of right now)

#3 ·
DIY STAND
Approximate cost 40ish, primary source: Home Depot
What I own: a Drill!! wood was cut at HD, bought a drill bit for the screws, found some gorilla glue for wood! and thats about it!

used this site: http://www.fishandtips.com/index.php
for planning, however I altered a bit and used 2x4s

NOTE: 2x4 ARE NOT 2x4, they actually measure 1.5x3.5!!!!! Keep that in mind while planning

So this is the plank for the base, see later image

used these screws 5 inches so that I could join a 2x4 to a 2x4, on the long arm, see later image

3 inch, for the small arm, see later image

drill bit

water proofing spray, about 3$

drying away

the basic construct

short - hence the 3 inch screw

This is where you I need the 5 inch screw, since the three inch screw would only just make it into the horizontal 2x4

good old gorilla wood glue

making sure its level!

the plank I showed you earlier x 2

finally done!

El-cheapo stand! time to build (one person only) - 2 hours ish

#9 ·
I derimmed my 20 long while it was in action, luckily my edges were decent, none are sharp or ugly, but not sure how yours would be, however sealing the inside to make sure nothing falls in is easy when you sand it down, should you have to. its easy and it is fun, the trick is going slow for your first one, my first derimming i took an hour, now with confidence it takes about 5-10 minutes for the top rim of a 40 breeder and about 15-30 for the bottom.

#11 ·

got the siding cut also at HD, cost: an additional 18$

planing the glue

added another 2x4 in the middle, overkill, the tank has a rim, so all the weight is on the corners, the middles doesnt even touch!

ran out of heavy object haha!

2 sides done!

screwed up, this is my access panel, but I notived a 2x4 smack middle, cant remove co2 tank/filter in n out!!! so used a different side. measure twice, cut once/glue once

driftwood!!!!!!!!!!!!! want emersed plants growing out of the tank, like a palaudrium (?)

#14 ·
Thanks!

any suggestions guys on plants? fish stock?

Plants
Was thinking: HC in the front (who didnt see that coming), Pogo Helferi, Anubias nana on parts of the drift wood, some kind of moss on the rest of it...... not sure what kind or a fissiden (true that it takes forever to grow?)

Not sure about the back corners

Fish
Would love to have baby discus and cardinals... but alas this tank is too small :(

#19 ·
yup thats what I was told at HD, they said the last time they were true 2x4s were in the 1920s!!!!

They should have a warning about that! WARNING 2x4 doesnt actually measure 2x4 lol..... I wasnt around in the 1920s when they made the switch!!! lol this is btw my first time working with 2x4s, heck first time working withwood

#17 ·
Nice stand and interesting tank! I am all for 2 hour 2x4 stands. I just unfortunately can't make them look good. Looking foreward to you progress.

#22 ·
So for the lighting... wanted to hang it on top of the tank, so that I could see the tank from the top as well. Wanted to do something cheap and diy (duh).

Got the idea from numerous threads here on conduits, again went to HD, conduit it self was like 4$ Cheaaaap yeah!

So here was my dilemna, I needed a pipe/conduit bender, one of these badboys:

So I asked at lowes and HD to see if they had rental ones available... no luck
I didnt want to drop 40$ on a tool that I was going to use once, for bending one conduit in two places :(

I was "advised" by one of the HD workers to buy/return it.... that didnt feel right either, so he said "here lemme bend it for ya in store!" and I was like...... umm SURE! lol
so long story short, I used a conduit at HD, and didnt pay for it..... Im sure ill pay for that....karma..... I did! mis measured that damn thing... look below

used a dollar spray can of black to paint the thing

at first I though of using steel wire fishing line and a closed hook...

didnt work... so that was a bust

as someone else suggested, I mounted on the BACK of the tank first..... BUT then it was toooo long and sticking out on the side... which looked ugly (the mis-measured part), so I mounted it to the left side

used S-hooks on teh conduit... linked to this black chain... which hooks onto an "open" hook x 4.. this way it didnt wobble, i have the option of adjusting the height since I have extra chain

El-cheapo lights done!

oh btw, the light is odyssea T5 HO 25inch total length 6500K

#23 ·
You done a lot of good DIY on the tank, are plants and fish comming soon???

Also how did you find a tank with such a bizzarre size???

I think your going to be raising the light for such a shallow tank and if you pick some plants that will climb up the wood and grow emersed that would look really cool!!!

#24 ·
Thanks for the comments!
Plants coming soon, fishies will have to wait a while... thinking of doing a Tom Barr emergent HC first

Custom built tank by a tank builder here in MI

I think I am going to adjust the light accordingly, definately want something growing outside the tank, was thinking baby tears, dont know if that will "climb" on wood though

#28 ·
El-cheapo filter!
Reviews here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/equipment/98858-my-review-sunsun-outside-filter-hw.html

Have been using this guy for my other 45gallon long as well... works amazing, been about a year, bought the same for this 30

Stones worth about 10$, just picked random ones, had no idea how I wanted to scape them in the LFS

SUBSTRATE!!! Went to Petsmart and bought 4 bags, ended up using only 3, the flourite is 19$ while the flora max is 16$, researched online, aparently the consensus was that flora max is similar but much larger in size.... aparently not

WASHING!!!! this parts messy, I didnt wash it thouroughly since I wanted some of the sludge at the bottom of the tank, this may be a problem later on when I try to uproot plants :(

flourite

floramax

Soooo.... verdict: atleast on visual insepction and feel of the substrate, they are EXACTLY the same, no difference whatsoever! smell the same look the smell feel the same... one difference though: flourite bags have much more sludge... hmmmmm

ended up using two flourites and one flora and not the other way aroun

randomly thrown around

#35 ·
De-rimmed it!!!! finally!!
After a lot of thinking and researching I decided to do it!
The tanks is only 12 inches high, with the damn rim taking up and inch and a half!!!
Still not sure if this will work, I have seen a homedepot closeby where I can buy/rent a wet vac in case 30 gallons end up in my living room.. lets hope that day doesnt come.

To de-rim: power tools + blades + time + patience!

Blades! lots of them, being a surgery resident - I have tonnes! Having sutures around the house may also help!

Dremel!

The rim!

Looking from the underside, the tank maker used only the minimal amount of silicone!!

Ideally it be best to do this without any content!, preparing for debris collection

Dremel with diamond tip, this isnt ideal, see below

attachment not good, need a fly wheel!

This is from home depot, it was in the dremel accessories for <5$, the diameter is ideal as it will go through the plastic but not damage the glass (hopefully)

the mess!

oh yeah the papers dont work, but a good vaccum later will work, plus the plastic will float when filled

the first side, scored it in the middle length wise,

got too excited and scored in the middle to get 1/2 of the rim off, this also made life easy, as I could cut the silicone between the rim and glue on top side

coming off!!

Long scoring thing!

Scoring between the rim and silicone on the outside, did the same on the inside

Mask for shavings, was lying around the house

progress!

Some more progress!

almost!

and thats what the glass looks like

whole tank

#15 blade at work

More pics once fully done.... lots of scrapping to do!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.