The Planted Tank Forum banner

Is this Cyanobacteria ??

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  150EH 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I really need some input here.

Are these what I think they are? Is it really doomsday for my tank?

If it is cyano, i need some suggestions that does not include ripping the tank up.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Not saying what you have is cyano, b/c I can't tell but...
I have cyano in my 40 and got rid of it with maracyn but some it stuck around in the sand, it kinda comes and goes but as long as it stays in the sand and doesn't spread to the rest of the tank I'm not worried and even if it did start to spread I would just dose maracyn again.

#5 ·
cyano tends to coat things.

Use the crapper and see if the green stuff comes off in sheets easily.

When you only have a little bit of cyano you can stop it and fix the problem. It's if you let it go too long it will over run your tank.

#7 ·
A little algae under the edge of the substrate is pretty common. Consider that there's still light there, but not really any flow. In my experience cyano doesn't just take over tanks unless you're nitrate starved. Every time I've had it I've added some nitrate, removed the loose stuff, and had it be gone within a week. I'd guess the stuff on the glass to be something else based on the location.

#8 ·
You can bury the stuff in the sand by pushing an old credit card between the glass and the sand. The sand will look clean again.

Low nitrates and possibly stagnant water encourage it although it will form sheets in my skimmer box too. I just remove it best I can and have only resorted to drastic measures when it was a big problem.

#10 ·
If it is you can tell by the smell, it's very bad. I did the treatment with Myacin and you might loose some fish with any under lying illness, I lost 6 -8 Rummy's.

I had it bad but the treatment is listed in the Sticky at the top of the algae section, it takes 10 days but doesn't use too much Myacin and it works but I would wait and make sure that's your problem.

BTW it looks very thick and gelatinous but it can vary in color from blue, green, & red.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.