The Planted Tank Forum banner

What is your CO2 ppm?

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Gomer 
#1 ·
I was just wondering what everyone else has as their CO2 ppm? I have a pretty good working DIY reactor (reverse flow powerhead) with my DIY yeast. Using Chuck's calculator I have 18 ppm CO2 (pH7, kH 6). All of my plants pearl in the evening (Hygos, Anubias, etc). Just wanted to know if I should try to "bump" it up more or keep it as it is.

#4 ·
I run 31 ppm via a pressurized setup with a homeade reactor. I find I get stronger plant growth and less algae with around 30 ppm of CO2. And of course it's no danger to fish.
Just curious where you find this. I am fairly newe to Planted Tanks and yes I see that many people keep their CO2 in the 25-30 range but every and I mean ever article you read about fish always saw to keep the CO2 under 20.

Please understand I am not picking on you floater, I am just looking to sleep better with my tank because I do like my fish too. Thanks

#9 ·
Just curious where you find this. I am fairly newe to Planted Tanks and yes I see that many people keep their CO2 in the 25-30 range but every and I mean ever article you read about fish always saw to keep the CO2 under 20.

Ah, the reason why I'm asking. :) I have pretty good results so far at about 17, and I don't know if one bottle of DIY will get me to 30. My reactor can handle the current load, but I'm thinking if I add another bottle, it will push larger bubbles out of the bottom of the gravel vac tube.

#11 ·
well, according to the simplified calcs, I have around 72ppm CO2. My fish seem perfectly healthy

One thing to consider is that the spread sheets are best case scenario meaning that all protons (H+) comes from carbonic acid. If you have any other source of protons such as tannic or humic acids,..like from driftwoods or peat...then the CO2 table OVERPREDICTS CO2 levels.

I really doubt that many people really have the CO2 levels they think they have (if just using the KH/PH table).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.