The Planted Tank Forum banner

The Fraternity of Dirt

109K views 581 replies 209 participants last post by  Patriot 
#1 · (Edited)
The Fraternity of Dirt
motto:
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Welcoming any dirty tankers to join.
To me NPT is the use of dirt (any dirt) as the primary media under a containing cap material.
That's the only requirement for membership.
CO2 or non, high tech / low tech doesn't matter. Got dirt? Got a journal about a tank with dirt? Good to go :proud:

People searching for dirty tanks here on TPT will have a guide to your thread simply finding this list.
Share your experience and help create a guide simply by keeping you're tank threads updated.
Got wet dirt? Simply adding you're name and picking a number is how to join.

NPT - natural planted tank
Broad term for soil based aquariums.

Many are trying to tie the use of this term to the works of Dianna Walstad author of Ecology of the Planted Aquarium.
The author herself doesn't claim this if any bother to actually read her book. (I did and keep it on the self reading it often)

Others have tied it to only low light or natural light, no CO2 systems with an emphasis on low-tech, natural aquariums and aquatic plants. (lack of techy stuff)

I like this web posted description that's from a site dedicated to the topic:

"The term "Natural Aquarium" can be used to describe different types of planted aquariums, including any planted aquarium. To me a natural aquarium is a low tech planted tank, generally set up to resemble natural types of settings. These tanks are usually a bit less formal than some of the other planted tank styles, and can often include invertebrates as well as fish and plants. I think of a natural aquarium as compared to other aquariums as a country garden is to a more formal one."
http://naturalaquariums.com/

To me NPT is the use of dirt as the primary media under a containing cap material.

Google it (NPT) and you spend the rest of the day reading the results. LOL

What I'm doing (or trying to) is loosely tie together or link to threads on this type of tanking.
Dirt substrates (my opinion)
Dig it up in your yard or spend $1000.00 on 'the good stuff' (lmao) Even AS doesn't always preform and act nicely in a tank. Dirt is dirt.

Seeing a member sig with the logo in it or reading this thread where people claim a number and link they're tank threads gives a list of those here on TPT and reviewing those threads the results of using 'x' and 'y' produced WOW, YUCK or OMG! results. This is what 'I' did in 'my' tank. Pictures timeline yada yada are there following the members posts.
MTS, AS, backyard dirt matters not! If it's dirt it can be linked.
Got dirt? Got it wet in a tank? Get a number and join! (if you choose)
Share what happens using what you put in a tank both good and bad.

I'm not about 'excluding' people. More about doing and learning so nothing elite about me LOL.

Everybody wanting to join should see something like this posted by the last member joining please pass along whats below in your post joining and see you in the threads:proud:

The Fraternity of Dirt
Member List
Joining please (copy) this entire text without quoting it then insert it (paste) in your joining post and add yourself at the end.
wkndracer - first member coining the phrase on TPT
nonconductive, Member #2 VP & Tye Dye Frisbee Hater, kamikazi #3, wespastor #4, demonr6 #5, DogFish #6, driftwoodhunter #7, Bahugo #8, firefiend #9, sewingalot #10, frrok #11 (add yourself here)

and post a link to your tank thread.

See less See more
#32 ·
I like this,
"NPT is the use of dirt (any dirt) as the primary media under a containing cap material"
"NPT - natural planted tank
Broad term for soil based aquariums"
Keep it broad, include MTS, MGOCPM, top soil, potting soil, compost and mixtures.

To me though its anything soil based not specifically produced and sold as an aquarium substrate. But I'll accept those using soil based aquarium substrates like AS as part of the Order.

#34 ·
i like this,
"npt is the use of dirt (any dirt) as the primary media under a containing cap material"
"npt - natural planted tank
broad term for soil based aquariums"

keep it broad, include mts, mgocpm, top soil, potting soil, compost and mixtures.

To me its anything soil based not specifically produced and sold as an aquarium substrate.
bingo!

#33 ·
The Fraternity of Dirt
Member List
Joining please copy this entire text without quoting it then insert it (paste) in your joining post and add yourself at the end.
nonconductive, Member #2 VP & Tye Dye Frisbee Hater

kamikazi #3,
wespastor #4, demonr6 #5, DogFish #6, driftwoodhunter #7, Bahugo #8, firefiend #9,

#36 ·
I would like to be a part of this. I have two threads at the moment in the low tech forum. I guess they should really be in the journal sections. Exuse my noobieness. I wasn't sure cuz they are both low tech with MGOCPM sub.
3.5 g
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/low-tech-forum/142157-3-5g-npt-first-tank-post.html
10g
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/low-tech-forum/144642-another-npt-conversion-mezza-luna.html
The Fraternity of Dirt
Member List

kamikazi #3, wespastor #4, demonr6 #5, DogFish #6, driftwoodhunter #7, Bahugo #8, firefiend #9, sewingalot #10, frrok #11

-frroK

#38 ·
I would like to be a part of this. I have two threads at the moment in the low tech forum. I guess they should really be in the journal sections. Exuse my noobieness. I wasn't sure cuz they are both low tech with MGOCPM sub.
3.5 g
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/low-tech-forum/142157-3-5g-npt-first-tank-post.html
10g
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/low-tech-forum/144642-another-npt-conversion-mezza-luna.html

-frroK
doesn't matter what section just that you share in a thread

#41 ·
Well, since no one picked up the ball yet:

The Fraternity of Dirt
Member list:
1 - wkndracer
2 - nonconductive
3 - kamikazi
4 - wespastor
5 - demonr6
6 - DogFish
7 - driftwoodhunter
8 - Bahugo
9 - firefiend
10 - sewingalot
*insert number & name here*

#42 ·
Well, since no one picked up on this yet:

The Fraternity of Dirt
Member list:
1 - wkndracer
2 - nonconductive
3 - kamikazi
4 - wespastor
5 - demonr6
6 - DogFish
7 - driftwoodhunter
8 - Bahugo
9 - firefiend
*insert number & name here*
Just updates mine as #11
Member list:
1 - wkndracer
2 - nonconductive
3 - kamikazi
4 - wespastor
5 - demonr6
6 - DogFish
7 - driftwoodhunter
8 - Bahugo
9 - firefiend
10 - sewingalot
11 - frrok

#43 ·
kamikazi - Yup, cold and muddy like a dog sitting at the back door during a rain storm. That's a photograph of my tank as of yesterday, due to a not listening to Mike and Nonconductive about pulling up plants and adding too much clay to begin with.

Thanks for fixing my number, Mike.

I'm not trying to quote anything for a long while. (I think this is Karma. )

#45 ·
kamikazi - Yup, cold and muddy like a dog sitting at the back door during a rain storm. That's a photograph of my tank as of yesterday, due to a not listening to Mike and Nonconductive about pulling up plants and adding too much clay to begin with.
wow has it settled yet?

#47 ·
That is similar to what happened when I came up with the bright idea to just dump water into the MGOCPS and let the stuff float up so I can remove it. I did get the floaters but two weeks later it looked like a Starbucks exploded in my tank. Back to sifting..

#52 ·
Everybody please pass along whats below in your post joining and see you in the threads :proud:

The Fraternity of Dirt
Member List

Joining please copy this entire text without quoting it then insert it (paste) in your joining post and add yourself at the end.
nonconductive, Member #2 VP & Tye Dye Frisbee Hater, kamikazi #3, wespastor #4, demonr6 #5, DogFish #6, driftwoodhunter #7, Bahugo #8, firefiend #9, sewingalot #10, frrok #11

kamikazi #3, wespastor #4, demonr6 #5, DogFish #6, driftwoodhunter #7, Bahugo #8, firefiend #9, sewingalot #10, frrok #11, Ichthy0loguest #12

I will work on getting a journal up soon!
Not wanting to be an arss and keeping only a short list for membership:

Welcoming any dirty tankers to join.
The use of dirt (any dirt) as the primary media under a containing cap material. That's the only requirement for membership.
CO2 or non, high tech / low tech doesn't matter. Got dirt? Got a journal about a tank with dirt? Good to go

Join by adding your name to the list and a link to your thread easy peezy.

banter in our threads and listing membership and links here in this thread is my hope and idea with this.

#58 ·
kamikazi - the tank is clearing up. I uprooted an enormous sword plant, didn't turn off the filters, didn't do it slowly, and didn't trim most of the roots like some other members #1 & #2 tried to tell me. Add that with approximately 1/3 clay to mineralized dirt ratio and viola! Muddy waters. Now everything is nicely covered in 'soot' and after 24 hours and many water changes, I am thinking "I should have listened." :hihi: Here it stands at the moment.

----------------
For Mike (just because I still know how to copy and paste even if I do screw up quotes, lol):
-----------------

Everybody please pass along whats below in your post joining and see you in the threads

The Fraternity of Dirt
Member List
nonconductive, Member #2 VP & Tye Dye Frisbee Hater, kamikazi #3, wespastor #4, demonr6 #5, DogFish #6, driftwoodhunter #7, Bahugo #8, firefiend #9, sewingalot #10, frrok #11

#61 ·
kamikazi - the tank is clearing up. I uprooted an enormous sword plant, didn't turn off the filters, didn't do it slowly, and didn't trim most of the roots like some other members #1 & #2 tried to tell me. Add that with approximately 1/3 clay to mineralized dirt ratio and viola! Muddy waters. Now everything is nicely covered in 'soot' and after 24 hours and many water changes, I am thinking "I should have listened." :hihi: Here it stands at the moment.
Much improved I'd say

#59 ·
Thanks Sara, I tried to repeat the posted thoughts and updated the opening post putting my answer to what Tom Barr asked in that. Hope that clears the mud LOL
Writing as I think it never comes out exactly the same way twice LOL

dirty tanks :proud:

and don't forget to link your tanks :icon_mrgr

#63 ·
Everybody please pass along whats below in your post joining and see you in the threads :proud:

The Fraternity of Dirt
Member List

and don't forget to link your tank thread :wink:

#65 ·
Man, this thread took off like a wild fire. Can I join the elite club of dirt? I'll create a journal for my 6 quart hex which is my only "dirty" tank as of now. My 15 and 20 planted tanks have inert substrates.

Threads are required!
Jeebus!! j.k. Here is mine

Haha, I thought NPT meant only two things.
National Pipe Thread
and Non-Planted Tank.
I've been laughing at NPT use on here as well, thought I was the only one!

The Fraternity of Dirt
Member List

nonconductive, Member #2 VP & Tye Dye Frisbee Hater, kamikazi #3, wespastor #4, demonr6 #5, DogFish #6, driftwoodhunter #7, Bahugo #8, firefiend #9, sewingalot #10, frrok #11, dbLbogie #12??

#69 ·
please pass along whats below in your post joining and see you in the threads :proud:

The Fraternity of Dirt
Member List

nonconductive, Member #2 VP & Tye Dye Frisbee Hater, kamikazi #3, wespastor #4, demonr6 #5, DogFish #6, driftwoodhunter #7, Bahugo #8, firefiend #9, sewingalot #10, frrok #11, dbLbogie #12,

and don't forget to link your tank thread :wink:

#80 ·
Speaking of dirty.. daddy's new toy is coming closer to fruition. Dirt tank #2 is almost a reality!

More about my stand project here.

Better pic:

I know that piece of wood.

I even know the dirt that gave birth to that piece of wood!

Many of you are not in the APD cohort of 15 years ago, Steve P was a soil nut. I do not think he did really much himself, or was ever much of a grower per se, but he accumulated a lot of info on the soil for the hobbyists, some is dated, but still many may find interesting:

Please note history:
This is 3 rd generation in the 1990's:

http://home.infinet.net/teban/
http://home.infinet.net/teban/jamie.htm

There are 2 groups prior to this, Diana Walstad took and promoted the method in a large way about this time as well. Rhonda Wilson also in the last few years.

Different pockets of folks have appeared internationally.

the Brasilians have done well with Wormstrates:
http://www.aquahobby.com/tanks/e_tank0311b.php

#73 ·
Thanks, it's Tom Barr who pulled it out of the blue. I told him what size tank and what he thought would work and he pulled the proverbial rabbit out of the hat.

I am going to gradually slope up to the left side where the branches are. They will have moss tied off to the ends making it look like a tree. The base will be rocks and such.. at least right now that is where it stands. It is all a moving target though but it is taking shape finally.

#71 ·
The Fraternity of Dirt
Member List
nonconductive, Member #2 VP & Tye Dye Frisbee Hater, kamikazi #3, wespastor #4, demonr6 #5, DogFish #6, driftwoodhunter #7, Bahugo #8, firefiend #9, sewingalot #10, frrok #11, dbLbogie #12, The Dude #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank-journals-photo-album/144268-dudes-tanks.html
I can't get the fonts or links on my Iphone

#74 ·
Threads are required! Short list in the opening post and not limiting the type of tank just needs to contain dirt in some form. So get it up and capture the process you use please.
I already told another member threads need to be up when joining and I do so hate being an arse. I think this could be pretty cool if we can get it together.

Join here creating the list linking the dirty tanks and banter back and forth in the threads.

We'll see how many are here over time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.