RMS AquaCulture still around? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Ohio

Old 04-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #31
Armonious
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'd be surprised to find a poor selection of FW fish at RMS. It's been pretty good every time that I've been there. I can expect the poor plant selection, which I really wish they'd work on, but poor freshwater selection is surprising to me.

I haven't been there since they started carrying any shrimp besides ghost shrimp, so I can't really comment on that aspect.
Armonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 01:04 AM   #32
Mgiorgi1221
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Rms fish prices are decent all other supplies and inventory is very expensive plants there are poor, also a great saltwater fish place is in colt station (forget the name) owner said they might go A LOT of freshwater plants ( they have about 20 pretty big concrete tanks that will be used for this)
Old 04-22-2011, 04:32 AM   #33
jasonpatterson
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm not sure that I'd call it a poor selection, as they have a ton of tanks to fill, but a great many of the tanks were empty the few times I was there in the last week or two. It probably creates the impression that they have less stock than they actually do.

As far as their shrimp go, they've got 3 or 4 varieties that are labeled as blueberry, blackberry, red cherry, bumblebee, but they are so small and poorly colored that it's hard to tell if they're the right variety or not. It seems like their stock spawned then they just didn't buy anymore and kept selling the babies. I bought a few RCS there that were all but clear. (They keep them in a tank with a white sand bottom, so that doesn't help any.) After 10 days or so in my tank they've gotten substantially redder, so those, at the very least, are definitely RCS.

The staff is very hit and miss as well. I was on the hunt for nerites and they had two tanks that supposedly contained them (completely empty.) When I asked if they had any elsewhere or were planning on getting them in any time soon, the lady I talked to tried to sell me pond snails instead and told me to go ask at the desk about the nerites. [expletive deleted] Next time through I happened to spot a smaller nerite in the corner of one of the tanks and found someone who knew it instantly, knew what it was for, knew the price, and lamented the fact that they're having trouble getting them in stock.
jasonpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #34
skip2myzoo

It will be interesting to see where they and other local stores turn to for a supplier now. Many went through TFD (tropical fish distributors) in Wickliffe and they are shutting their doors for good at the end of the month.

I know Something Fishy inc. doesn't but as far as the others I wonder if we will start seeing stuff from Buffalo, unless there is a closer supplier.
skip2myzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #35
Burks
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip2myzoo View Post
It will be interesting to see where they and other local stores turn to for a supplier now. Many were through TFD (tropical fish distributors) in Wickliffe and they are shutting their doors for good at the end of the month.
Maybe a better wholesaler will come to the area then. TFD was very rude and sent some pretty.......low quality fish to a store I used to order for. I dreaded dealing with them.
Filstar Pimp #84
Burks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #36
Fishyfanatic
Algae Grower

Rms is a decent store...there hardwoods are insanely priced though! Have you guys tried Tricker's they were kinda outta the game for awhile but there has been many inprovements recently...they are in independence, they also have a "wish list" where they will try to order fish for you and let you know when they come in!!
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:40 AM   #37
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (58/100%)

They have Assassin Snails right now for $2.99.
pweifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #38
Rhodophyta
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by THaehn View Post
I remember this store had like 4 locations around NE Ohio. Are any of them still around? I managed to find their website but none of the catalog links work. If they are still around, is the place worth visiting? I have had to buy fish from petsmart and they are all diseased. I've had 5 fish die in the last 2 months...

Please let me know.
Two years later and RMS is still going. Their plants have improved, little to no algae. Maybe plants just are more popular now and sell faster. Don't forget the shops in nearby Akron and Cleveland's east side as well. Fish club auctions are coming up soon. The big one for plants and general interest is Greater Akron Aquarium Society Nov. 6, 2011

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Greate...y/272715934088

http://www.gaas-fish.net/images/2011fallauction.pdf
Rhodophyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #39
Rhodophyta
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgiorgi1221 View Post
Rms fish prices are decent all other supplies and inventory is very expensive plants there are poor, also a great saltwater fish place is in colt station (forget the name) owner said they might go A LOT of freshwater plants ( they have about 20 pretty big concrete tanks that will be used for this)
Aquatic Technology Rt. 82 Columbia Station 99% saltwater 1% pond. I think "plants" would automatically be heard as "pond plants". The owner Greg Smith was probably talking about the intended seasonal pond plant display.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:43 AM   #40
Shrimpfreak
Algae Grower

Talking

How much are they selling their cherry shrimps for?? I sell mine for 1 buck each and they are nice high grade sakrua to low grade fire red colors I have them on sale for .50 cents each cause I am over loaded lol but I am always looking for nice stock to add to my tank. Here is a link to my shrimp video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aTfccBwqlw
and these are just babies and juveniles and they are very red!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urxgJzUVCBo
Shrimpfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:14 AM   #41
MavDog
Algae Grower

I made a trip out to the Brook Park Location off of Engle saturday. Decent selection. Came hom with 3 furcata rainbows, an Otocinclus, and A micro sword. The guy who helped me was super helpful, and i didn't have to wait around for someone to help me. I was a little disappointed they didn't have any HC, and didn't have any gobies at all, but overall, a pretty good experience. I used to go to the mentor location (way closer to my house), its a shame they closed. I'll have to check out Something Fishy and the place independence.

As for Aquatic Technology, they're fantastic. My dad bought a saltwater setup from them with live rock, some fish, and a few shrimp. They got him totally set up. Would definitely recommend.

There used to be a store on Ridge road right off 480, but they must've closed. I remember them having a really nice selection of fish, and a huge plant tank.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #42
Rhodophyta
Algae Grower

RMS is still around. Just was there last week. I can usually find rare corydoras there that are on Aquabid one week and about the next week show up at RMS, for a lot less than I already paid for them. Something Fishy is worthwhile, and a new shop is Aquatica Gallery on Grafton Rd. in Valley City. Very nice and store prices are competitive with online prices.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #43
Bugeye
Algae Grower

I would recommend Aqautica over RMS. Nicer folks and good prices
Bugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:21 PM   #44
kcjenk42
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)

I was there on Monday. Pretty good fish selection. Lack luster plant selection and many didn't look great. Did pick up healthy looking java moss, crypt wendtii, and ludwigia repens.
Most of the employees looked like high school or college summer employment. The manager was a middle-aged gentleman that seemed more knowledgeable. When I asked him about their rock selection he remembered that I had picked up my bagged guppies off the counter next to him while he was assisting another customer, said that he assumed I was looking for freshwater rocks and pointed me to the ones that were better for fw and said to stay away from a couple of bins because they could affect my ph.

Overall - better fish selection then one of the big box chain pet stores, but would probably call to see what day they get shipments in since they were out of stock of some (although I expected that on a Monday). Fresh water fish selection was large. Very small selection of salt water fish and both of their lion fish appeared to be dead and floating (although I know nothing about this species). However, I would NOT recommend a trip there for plants.

Last edited by kcjenk42; 07-31-2013 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: left a couple words out of a sentence.
kcjenk42 is offline   Reply With Quote