The Planted Tank Forum banner

Brian's 2.11g Rimless Pico Cube (AquaTop)

18K views 61 replies 18 participants last post by  kman 
#1 · (Edited)
AquaTop 2.11g Pico Cube Build

I'm going to break this intro up in to two parts:

Part 1 - Background / Unboxing (skip if you don't like reading)
Part 2 - The Build Plan

Part 1:

Disclaimer: I don't work for TruAqua or AquaTop... just wanted to get that out of the way. In fact, AquaTop (if you see this) should give me a free tank or something for this review / tank build! Haha... J/K

I'm not usually an 'early-adopter' for anything but I decided to give this little tank a shot! I hate taking risks and like to dig up as many reviews as possible before buying something. I could hardly find anything on these tanks but for $30 shipped, it seemed like it was worth the risk on a low-iron high-clarity glass rimless tank (see figure 1 for low iron vs. standard glass example). I think I've been spoiled with this whole "low iron" thing by having a GLA 36-L and ADA 60-F in my house -- once you go low-iron, it's hard to go back IMO! Moreover, I've always found interest in those tiny Do!Aqua 2g cubes but didn't feel like spending $56.99 ($38 + 18.99 shipping) for such a tiny cube -- especially when it's normal clarity green tinted glass (no pun intended for those that own Do!Aqua or most of Mr. Aqua's line -- still nice tanks IMO). So a Do!Aqua-like cube + low iron ADA-like glass = "clicked buy" and here we go!!! :icon_mrgr

Figure 1

So I ordered this tank from TruAqua.com and they shipped it out pretty fast. The site doesn't specify the brand but it is branded as an AquaTop tank (are these the same company BTW?).

Here are some details about this tank (source):
  • High clarity glass for an enhanced viewing experience
  • Low iron glass with a 91% light-through rate
  • Polished beveled edges
  • High-grade German silicone for a seamless appearance
  • For both salt and freshwater systems
  • Dimensions: 7.87" x 7.87" x 7.87"
  • Capacity: 2.11 Gallons

Here's what the site doesn't tell you (or at least I couldn't find it)...
  • AquaTop branded tank
  • 30 day warranty (no 3 year ADA warranty here - but you get what you pay for...right?).

So on to my experience receiving this tank:
  • speedy delivery.
  • Packaged extremely well with a HUGE box, thick crumpled paper padding all around the tank, and extra padding with foam and cardboard on the tank itself. Man, they spare no expense here which makes sense for a new company IMO, less negative reviews = more potential for future business.
  • Shipping carrier = Here's where they had to have saved money from spending a fortune on packaging. They used OnTrac as the carrier. I don't know about you guys, but this is probably my least favorable shipping company since I've had numerous bad experiences in the past. Luckily this time around, despite seeing some damage to the exterior of the shipping box (see pic below, top left side) I received the tank without a hitch and no damage. :proud:

Here's the un-boxing. Just look at all that packaging and the size of the box in comparison to the tank! I removed all the paper used to cushion the top.

Here's some close-ups of the glass, edges, and silicon work. For reference on the glass clarity (tint), I have the AquaTop (right) next to the ADA 60-F (left).

And here is the AquaTop (left) next to my GLA 36-L (right)

I found 1 minute glob of extra silicone on a corner of the AquaTop. This was easily remedied with a razor.

Overall, this tank seems like pretty darn good quality for the lower price-point. Excellent silicon work in which all the edges line-up nicely. As long as this thing can hold water and last, this is a quality looking rimless tank and worth taking a look at if you're in the market for a rimless. They also offer other dimensions to suite your needs. It would be nice to see TruAqua offer the larger AquaTop rimless tanks for shipping as well -- currently they are only offered as local pick-up in California.

Update on comparison pictures between the AquaTop & ADA 60-F glass:
Note: My GF wasn't satisfied with the test conditions of my original comparison pictures. Given that the room was dark, I used an LED flashlight, and that the ADA 60-F was on top of a brown towel which can affect the color being transferred through the sides of the glass panels. AquaTop tank is pictures with substrate in it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Part 2:

The Skinny (Already Acquired and In-Progress / Planning):

Hardware:
Tank - AquaTop (Dimensions approx. 7.87" x 7.87" x 7.87", 2.11g)
Light - Archaea 17cm Clamp-On type LED lighting fixture
Filter - Azoo Palm Filter

Substrate: Fluval Shrimp Statum on Floramax
Hardscape: Seiryu Stone and Manzanita

Flora:
Anubias Petite
DHG - E. Parvula
Echinodorus tenellus
Hydrocotyle tripartita sp. Japan
Needle Leaf Java Fern
Flame Moss / Xmas Moss
Fissidens fontanus (maybe)
Mini Pellia (maybe)

Dosing:
GLA dry ferts and Excel

And some pictures:

Just messing with the hardscape... got a nice slope to the back right corner.

I was suppose to get my light fixture today, but here's what it's suppose to look like:

More to come!

#5 ·
They're great little tanks.

My two came in better packaging than I've ever seen. Shipped via UPS. Since I received two of them, it took a good half hour (not kidding) to unbox.

Clarity definitely rivals anything else available on the market. From what I can discern, they're manufactured by the same OEM that produces ADA tanks.

#6 ·
It was only a matter of time until someone figured out out they could do it for cheaper. I've just learned that you can find the original sources of all imported manufactured goods online in databases through a project I'm working on now, so all anyone had to do was a little bit of sleuthing and contact the OEM, have some made, and sell them for cheaper. Props to them.

#9 ·
[ QUOTE=somewhatshocked;2917282]Kiran: Precisely.

OP: I'm toying with a couple of the same light fixtures you're planning to use. Though, I know they're extremely low light. Looking forward to seeing how they work for you. Also considering the smaller Wave Point fixtures even though they're bulky.[/QUOTE]

You know i was feeling a little apprehensive with the strength of the Archaea 17cm too. I couldn't find much online about it either..apparently marine depot sells the UP Aqua version, which is exactly the same except where the neck Is located on the fixture. I've learned that the Archaea LED fixtures are rebranded UP Aquas. So there's some user reviews on Marine Depot.

Anyway, after some determined digging around, i found a YouTube video of a guy using a Do!Aqua 2g with the Archaea inside an old Mac computer. He grew a fairy lush carpet of HC. I think if its strong enough for HC, then seems like you'd be able to grow a lot.

Started:

Update on growth:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=9HEo2b-ZxsM

#10 ·
I messaged Lawrence, from the YouTube vids I linked, regarding his thoughts on the light on the 20cm cube.. he lowered the fixture to about 2" above the water surface and he measures approx. 5" from light to sub. So I guess he's able to up the PAR enough by closing the distance for the HC. I don't plan on growing a carpet with light demanding plants, but at least we know the capability is there by closing the distance. However, compact growth might still be up for question.

#11 ·
Archaea 17cm LED came in today :)

Here are the specs...
  • Quantity of LED Lamps: (30x White LED lamp)
  • Color temperature: Blue lamp(12000k) /White lamp (8000k)
  • Luminous intensity: Blue lamp(300mcd per LED) /White lamp (1400mcd per LED )
  • Total Power per fixture: 1.68W
  • Power per LED lamp: 56mW

This should be good for at least low light plants, maybe some moderate ones.... so we'll see how this goes :)

#14 ·
Yeah I'm not expecting much out of it to be honest. We just got a 60-F and I'm going to be suspending a Ray 2 over it... so I'll have 3 tanks with high-tech setups and this little guy will just be for fun!

I'm going to see if I can lower the fixture just to squeeze a little more out of it though for some DHG or Microswords... I'm going to use some flame moss and xmas moss. Thinking about using some mini pellia too. I'm still confused! LOL

Here's how it looks with the fixture lowered a bit.. much better IMO.

@Kiran - what do you suggest in terms of stones? A larger one or several smaller ones added? I'm trying to maintain some scale too... so maybe less is more?

I also have one other piece of manzanita I'm going to throw in... tied an anubias petite to it :)

#18 ·
Thanks guys!

@MABJ - I feel you. If i had to have like one or two tanks, then a cube wouldn't be one of them. The price was right and i have the perfect place for it at the bar by my kitchen.

@soup - trust i love finnex, i own 3x Ray 2's. I just think the fugeray-r looked bulky by comparison. I'm going for an elegant look since this tank is by the doorway to my house.

#19 ·
How much was your light BTW? Can you light be used as high tech or you going more low/medium?

I have the fugeray-R and it is very slim, but I use it on a standard 2.5g high tech (12" long tank). Since yours is a cube with 8" length it would be too long, would work just stick out 1" on both sides.

#20 ·
It was $29.99 from AFA. I'm using it for low tech. I linked some YouTube videos earlier to "MacAquarium" the guy posted 4 updates in which he used a 20cm do!aqua with the same light. He lowered the light to get the distance from light to sub to about 5". He successfully carpeted HC. I think it's capable if it can do that with all else considered in a high tech environment.

#24 ·
While I think the Finnex Fugeray-R would have been a better light, not by enough to make a huge difference and I thinkyou are right, you wouldn't have gotten that sleek look you are looking for.

#36 ·
fugeray-r 5w vs 1.5w

and the fugeray-r has red spectrum that pops red plants and livestock, adjustable...

I am contemplating this for my 10"x10"x10" (4.2g)cube, but I don't think its enough light for medium tech? am I wrong on this as OP is lowering the light and my tank is slightly larger.

#25 · (Edited)
Thanks DefStatic - I couldn't agree more!

Okay... Update time!

I planted the tank with plants I already had sitting around in other tanks..

I think I still want to get some mini pellia in here and try it out. I'm also considering using some marsilea minuta as some foreground. I might just save money and try to carpet the hydrocotyle japan.. I just want to try to maintain some scale since the tank is small.

I'm using an AC 20 for now on the lowest setting with some established biomax. It's fairly big so I can't position the LED light the way I want to. Currently I'm using my Azoo Palm Filter in a shrimp cube temporarily. I just got bored of looking at the AquaTop so I just started it up with plans to change things around a bit.

So here it is (for now) with a temporary resident, my female betta, RED SONIA, from when I started the GLA 6g a ways back...

From the back side... my slope is still holding due to the Floramax as the first layer. I believe since the Floramax is rather coarse lava rock, it doesn't really have a propensity to slide as opposed to using all AS or FSS. Also, I like how the reddish-brown crypt and manzanita compliments the dark green needle leaf java fern -- just an observation :)

#27 ·
You have made a believer out of me. I love that tank, and love TruAqua's prices. I have to say, that glass is super. Sometimes I see some rimless high clarity tanks and there is too strong a green tint. This one truly seems crystal clear.

Also, awesome Betta. Will that be a permanent home? No fear of jumping? She will be quite happy!

#28 ·
@gnod - I would like to also see some unique tank dimensions out of AquaTop! Maybe even a 6g long and/or 12g long but with this awesome high clarity glass!

@DefStatic - I've had this little female betta for about a year now. She's been in nothing but rimless tanks with no lids where I've had the water filled to the top. She's been good about jumping. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep her in here permanently. For now, she's doing well...

I slapped a quick YouTube video together... I'm really excited about this Pico... haha!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.