HC/Glosso without CO2 or ferts
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 06-13-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
mrjk
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

HC/Glosso without CO2 or ferts

I was reading some threads (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=99729&page=83) and saw that some people have had success with HC or Glosso, not using CO2, Excel, or other ferts.

I'm starting a new nano low tech tank and really like the look of HC/Glosso as a small foreground plant but am wondering how to duplicate that success. Dry start method? Are there any suggestions people have?

Are there other foreground plants that people suggest that look similar to HC or Glosso?
mrjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2014, 12:22 AM   #2
cowmilkcandy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

dwarf sag is pretty easy. Glosso is easier than HC IMO. I have HC in my 90 low tech and they're not spreading at all. It's not turning brown or anything but it's not spreading.

Last edited by cowmilkcandy; 06-14-2014 at 12:22 AM.. Reason: typo
cowmilkcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:09 AM   #3
GoodOldDays
Algae Grower

Ditto to the above exactly. Glosso easier than HC. My HC is just sitting there doing nothing and I have started Excel to see if it makes a difference.
GoodOldDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
mrjk
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Does anybody have experience with Monte Carlo? I've read this is easier than HC.
mrjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
ucrdave
Algae Grower

Send a message via Skype™ to ucrdave

according to this guy

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...postcount=1241

he did this with no co2 or ferts. that would mean hes doing quite a few water changes or lots of water volume changes at one time. there is no way to get this kind of growth with no ferts or co2. with how much water flow, and fans over the tank that maybe increase co2 levels but according to chemistry co2 levels will still be lower than if co2 is injected. Without co2 and ferts HC will not thrive, in a conventional planted tank; however i do know there are some successful tanks using mineralized dirt/ dirt as a bottom most layer substrate. This would supply DOC that can break down into plant available co2, and ferts.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:10 PM   #6
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I have hc growing in a low tech bubble bowl, no added ferts, excel, or co2, it does have a substrate of MGOPM capped with black diamond "sand" but I don't mess with it to see it its actually got roots down into the soil yet. Its not explosive growth but for literally ignoring the tank (except a once a week less than 30% wc if i remember to).. its not dead so that's good enough for me. I also just got some more that was grown emersed and I'm hoping I can keep alive as a 'carpet plant' on my 20g riparium trellis rafts to hide said rafts, not sure how it will do.
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote