The Planted Tank Forum banner

Shrimps for beginners

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  manikmunky 
#1 ·
What are good shrimps for beginners?

#7 ·
Any neocaridinas will work (cherries, yellows, blue pearls, snowballs, etc). Ghost shrimp are actually not that great...they're cheap but also all wild caught and most are sold for the purpose of being feeders so they're often stressed and diseased and won't live that long. I think I introduced a mysterious shrimp plague on my shrimp colonies months ago that nearly wiped them all out from some ghost shrimp that I stupidly bought.

#9 ·
I must have good ghost shrimp karma, mine never seem to die... Perhaps 1 (out of 8 or so) in 2 years. I don't buy them as feeder fish though, but sold as community dwellers. Dunno if they were raised differently or what, but if they survive a bit in the tank they seem to be fairly tough little critters. Mine have never bred, but I suspect that has more to do with being sucked into the filter as larvae than their fragility.

#11 ·
i see you are from hk as well, i'd suggest you buy shrimps that are kept in the tanks, instead of shrimps in bags hanging on hooks at the mongkok fish street. I would pick red cherry shrimp as well, they are hardly, and are absolutely beautiful. There is a store that sells them in tanks, very very good quality cherry shrimp, 8 for 40HKD, or around $5USD

#13 ·
I just received my first shrimp, cherries, from epicfish. They arrived alive and well and are happily cruising around my tank - very cool, and my kids love them. I was kind of surprised at just how small they are though, guess in my head I visualized them as larger. I originally thought I'd need just 10 in my 30g, epic talked me into 20 and he was definitely right.

#15 ·
Neocaridinas for sure, (and as someone else pointed out, they have several color varieties).

Bear in mind, these are small shrimp and make an easy meal for many fish, so be careful what you put in with them.

Breeding is easy. Young are born as miniature adults, as opposed to other species where the young are born in a larva stage and transform finaly to the adult stage, just like insects. Larva bearing shrimp are more difficult.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.