The Planted Tank Forum banner

Help a n00b with plant identity?

716 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  macclellan 
#1 ·
Hiya, all! Nice place ya got here :)

I was pointed this way from AquariaCentral, since I'm trying to get more up to speed on planted tanks. Here's my set up:

30g "high" (24w x 24h x 12d)
"SunSun" cannister filter
Substrate is a mix of river gravel and eco-complete (and oh how I wish I would have just used eco-complete, ah well too late now)
Hood is a DIY (poor first effort), lighting is a re-used Eclipse flourescent fixture running two F15T8 18" bulbs, the bulbs themselves are from Eclipse
Just added a DIY CO2 setup + started adding Flourish 1/week.

I purchased some plants and nerites snails from MsJinxzd over at AC; Rachel was kind enough to label all the plants, give some planting advice etc. Of course, I was so excited I tossed all the labels away without writing anything down, so now I don't know exactly what I have <facepalm>

Any help you guys and gals can provide will be great! All plants are doing well except one group - I have about 4 of these guys, they all look a little shriveled and have brown spots on them. From my reading, I'm wondering if these are plants that need root tabs, which I am not currently using? (The last two pics show these plants)

Final thought - I am upgrading the lighting with a 1x55w "Bright" kit from AH Supply. I should have the new hood done this weekend and the new light in place. I'm thinking I am woefully short on light given the el cheapo fixture I have and the depth of the tank.

P.S. I also got a couple of hitchhikers (I think) - one is visible in the pics. Any idea what kind of snail this is?

Many many thanks in advance!!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Hygrophilia corymbosa 'angustifolia'
Anubias barteri 'nana'
Cryptocoryne sp.
Java Fern - remove these from the gravel and tie them to rocks or wood. They are epiphytes - they grow on things.
Thank you! That actually makes my day - the big rock in the tank was rescued from my backyard, and while it is pretty nifty looking, it really doesn't look as well as I had envisioned it would. So... the opportunity to buy another piece of driftwood for the java fern is all right with me!

I've also got some Brazilian pennywort that is floating - holy guacamole does this stuff grow! I love it though, looks neat, the fish enjoy it, and it actually smells pretty good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.