The Planted Tank Forum banner

Planning on a 10 gal.

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Clone 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I hope that I can do a nice 10 (or bigger i hope) gal. with guppies and MTS. So here is the setup.....There would be a sand substrate with a few rocks collected from a stream in the mountains. The plants that I am thinking of putting them in is some Vallisneria, a ozelot Sword, Amazon Sword, Najas, a Riccia Carpet, and some Cabomiba. Is their any other plants I should use that do well with a sand substrate? Also, I am going to use a bag of Flourite and then cover it with the sand. If I want a nice forest of Cabomiba and Najas, now much stems of them I should buy, and how should I plant it? Ex...like two stems of them together, one inch apart from each other and let them fill in the gap? How should I create a Cabomiba forest?

Thanks!

-Jeff

#3 ·
For the moss carpet buy plastic mesh from a craft store, cut it to size and shape and tie plant weights or small stones on the underside to get the mesh to sink. Place the moss under the mesh and with a little time will grow up through the mesh.

Covering the Flourite with sand is a waste of time. The Flourite will work its way up to the surface. Go with the Flourite.

The swords you listed will out grow a 10 gal. tank in a year or so. Try Tropica swords. They max out around 8". There are dwarf amazon swords but I don't know how large they get.

#5 ·
In my experience the gravel always seems to work its way up to the surface. IMO go with one or the other.

With the java moss carpet my initial thought was to construct it the same way as a moss wall but then again you may be able to get away with simply "planting" the moss in the sand or you could cut the mesh in 2" squares, weigh them down then put the java moss under the mesh. Space the squares out and let the moss fill in the gaps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.