The Planted Tank Forum banner

Spyke's Iwagumi Mini M! (DIY stand & lights)

20K views 68 replies 25 participants last post by  spyke 
#1 ·
Ok...so really this is just a teaser. so.....

GOTCHA!!!!!
So there will be no pics or super important specs that all you crazy fish/plant/shrimp geeks (like me) must know.

But here are some less formal and structured details for the tank to come.

ok, its an ADA mini m...duh

scape is going to be iwagumi scape with ohko stones YAY!
probably just hc, glosso, and possibly dhg as plants go.

probably s grade crs or ss grade cbs...maybe even super green babaultis if i can find any. and maybe ember tetras, i really want half red tetras ...but those are like super impossible to find. or neon green rasboras if i get the green shrimps.

paintball c02

uhh...ada multi type amazonia(new)

diy 26w light fixture and light stand.

refurbished and painted stand. (looks legit now)not like it was made in the 80s...(cuz it was)

and it will sit right next to my ever changing 40B iwagumi.

ok that's all for now.

See less See more
#2 ·
:thumbsdow

:D

I can't wait for the updates.. You teaser!!

#3 ·
bwah haha ha ha.....

got the last parts for my light tonight and m first package containing my filter did not arrive today...oh well all 3 boxes will show up tomorrow...while i'm at school for 10+ hours...awesome...at least it will be cool to come home to a bunch of ADA awesomeness.

#7 ·
tonight my fishy friends...you will be satisfied. and yess...all three boxes are out for delivery as we speak...hurry up school, i'm done with you already, i have more important things to tend to!
and really...you wont see pics till about 9-10pm this very evening. i don't have a single one uploaded of the diy stand yet...and definetely not the product.

#9 ·
ok here it all is...this is exciting...no details just pics to satisfy...i should probably get better at my journal construction...but i'm just too excited and tired at the same time.
here is the stand before.

and after with the tank...

that light and stand is just pvc painted gray to match the stand. i thnk i turned out pretty sweet. but the light is just a deconstructed twin bulb screw in fixture that is made for incandescents, but i put in 2 6500k 13w cfl bulbs to get 26w of growing power. it looks stinking bright. and the cover is just tin or something sheathing made for duct work that i just cut and bent a little funny. If anyone wants more specs on how i did it with pics i can do that...oh yeah, and my stand is sweet like the mini solar. the top joint of the pvc is not fastened so i can swivel it forward and backward...so nice.

new logo...booooooooyaaaaaaaaah!

put tourmaline bc, crushed up api root tabs and some biozyme all in the bottom...its my cheap, yet effective base layer. at least there is 1 ADA product down there!
ok and here is scapes 1,2,3 and 4...I'm partial to 2 and 4, but i need to mess with all my rocks some more and break a few up... thanks AFA for getting what i asked for. and then some.

yeah need more AS and definitely need to break up my bigger rocks to make nicer 2ndary stones. ok now enjoy and quit whining....

#12 ·
it's ohko stone from AFA...

and yeah, i do like number two, but i just have to break up some of the rocks. what is in there works good, but then i just have one rock that is huge still available, and i want to explore all my options.

#17 ·
right now kinda digging #3 and/or #4 both give it a better sense of greatness, or perspective, kinda a larger scale...for being in a teenie weenie fish tank.

think i might try mixing 3 and 4 to get a sweet scape...i hope to plant on or around friday, but that might be impossible with out my plants...needing some glosso and i have a small patch of hc growing that i can distribute...i think i'm jsut going to use those plants...keep it simple stupid...

#22 ·
this is my other cube garden...lol
ebony wishes she was as cool as ADA stuff...but, she just belongs in another catagory...like...cutest kitties ever...not coolest aquarium products.

okok....this is partially posed, i just put the top half of the box on her, she had been sitting in this little tray for days, but she stayed under that box for a good 10 minutes. good kitty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.