The Planted Tank Forum banner

Treants - 155 Dirt build (56K) It's Flooded!

19K views 131 replies 55 participants last post by  Dutchworks 
#1 · (Edited)
Start of a new build. tore all the old out, cleaned etc.
Going to use a DSM methodology, yup, a big terrarium for 2 or 3 months.

Specs:

155 bow front tank. 72 x 24 x 21(roughly)

Substrate:
Soil\Clay with dolomite and potash underneath. Cap will be using Black Diamond blasting compound.

Lighting:
320 watts T5HO AquaMedic SunBeam (2 @ 2x80 watt) Geisemann midday and aquaflora bulbs
130 watts CFL (2 x65 watt) Current dual-daylight

Filtration:
sump/wetdry, needle wheel, mag or Eheim (used for CO2 injection)

Fertilization:
Estimate Index

Flora:
Staurogyne reopens
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Glossostigma elatinoides
Fissidens Fontanus
Pogostemon helferi
Eriocaulon cinereum
Hydrocoytle sibthorpides
Needle leaf java fern
Diandra (Didiplis diandra)
Rotala Magenta (Rotala macrandra v. 'narrow leaf')
Rotala Wallichii (Rotala wallichii)
Mayaca (Mayaca fluviatilis)
Rotala Indica (Rotala roundifolia)

Fauna:
<TODO>

Blank Canvas:

See less See more
#88 ·
originally, the right was planted in glosso which did not do well for me during the dry start phase. I added a small clump of Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides which has taken over that side of the tank.

I want to use the HC as the single ground cover for this tank and make it uniform in appearance across the front.

Ty for looking and the feedback :icon_smil

#94 ·
wow great read and amazing tank.

You mentioned in previous post about your PH fluctuations. How does a huge drop in PH not affect your fish. I am a complete noob to planted tanks but why does your PH drop so much over a period of hours and what was your solution to this issue.

How much does your ph fluctuate now? I am planning on a large planted tank and adding an asian arowana to the tank. It will not thrive with ph fluctuations so I wanted to know what I need to do to avoid this. still doing lots of research and have no yet come across PH fluctuations in my research.

Again, awesome looking tank and will be checking in for further updates.

#100 ·
I don't know how I missed this one but very beautiful tank and nice sump build.

#101 ·
Ty for the feedback!

Here is December's update. Just spent 8 hours trimming and pruning today and here are the initial results:

Still have some plants to put back in, but needed a break. That being said, I now have a ton of moss to get rid of.

I am also wondering if the needle leaf java ferns need to go. I am either going to remove them, or move them to the corners. They really shade a lot of area that could be put to better use (like growing plants).

I went ahead and rescaped the right side. Going with the "plug" method to fill that area in with HC. That should give the tank a consistent look and feel for the foreground across the entire tank front.

#106 ·
for what its worth i love the different gc in the front. the gc in the front right was an awesome green. that gigantic fern on the left however must go its drowning out that awesome plant in back left plus wheres the wood on the left. you had a not over powering hardscape which was great but its gone due to plants.

everyone has taught me so much thats why i am studing plant growth habits before i plunge into a scape like yours u had it all. work with it

#107 ·
ty for the feedback, yes that large fern has to go, will be broken up and sold at our next fish club auction this month.

My Plan is to keep the hc in the very front, then a layer of ET and Starogyne. Will fill in the spots left behind under the fern with Starogyne as well. The right side is now dedicated to red plants with a NLJF growing inside them, I like the look of those two colors together. The left side will be rescaped in the back, haven't decided yet whether to go with more red there, or just bring the Ludwigia inclinata, Mayacs and Rotala from the middle across. I have been slowly attaching fissidens to the trees to replace the moss that was there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.