60 Gallon Memorial Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-09-2013, 03:23 AM   #1
DCLyle
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

60 Gallon Memorial Tank

I inherited a 60 gallon corner tank from my brother in law when he passed on April 4, 2013. I have never owned an aquarium before but in his honor I wanted to give it a try. Just wanted to start a journal to seek advice and show progress on this wonderful venture. Here is the my tank cycling to except fish. I am really set on an African cichlid tank and I have a real good idea on the type aqua scape. Any info on keeping African cichlids is appreciated. There is a plecostomus hiding in the bottom that I haven't named quite yet!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	139994  

DCLyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
DCLyle
Algae Grower

Default 60 Gallon Memorial Tank

I am having some trouble figuring our water chemistry. The PH is perfect, the ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites are at 0, the KH is within limits, but the GH is really low. I know that if I want to put in African Cichlids the GH should be between 200-400 ppm. It is currently at 30. I know cichlid salts will increase it but will it up my PH. My PH is within limits but it is on the high side and I want it to stay stable. I did some research and found something called a mineral shell that will balance on its own. Anyone use these? I also was wondering about CO2. What is a good started system?
Old 05-11-2013, 01:05 AM   #3
DCLyle
Algae Grower

Figures out the water chemistry. Been checking it everyday and it is stable. Totally excited! My rock that I ordered came in and now I am just waiting for the blue accent lights I ordered. Scott would be proud...
Old 05-11-2013, 01:08 AM   #4
DCLyle
Algae Grower

Here is a picture of my little buddy. He is hiding! Sorry for the bad picture.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368234510.277306.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	141242
Old 05-11-2013, 01:31 AM   #5
zackariah
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Default Re: 60 Gallon Memorial Tank

Welcome to the hobby. It's very addictive in a good way. As far as Africans, what kind did you have in mind? Many of the ones you find at your local petsmart/petco are very hardy. They will do fine in a large variety of water types. What is your motivation to choose them. Also do you plan to keep live plants? If so you may want to look into south Americans instead. Generally speaking your gh and kh are nothing you need to worry about. Even ph is something that only matters in select species. Hope this helps. This forum is an infinite wealth of knowledge.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:41 AM   #6
DCLyle
Algae Grower

Thanks for the welcome Zackariah. I really want to go with Africans because that is what my brother in law had in his tank. They were left in the house for a couple of weeks after he died and they didn't make the trip to my house. I am wanting to do dwarf cichlids, but I haven't decided on exactly which ones yet. I have read that African cichlids pull plants up, but I read there are a couple of ways of avoiding it by making sure they all have their own little caves (holes) and making sure they have ample place to mate if they choose. I do really want a planted tank, so we will see how it goes! Again thanks for the welcome
Old 05-11-2013, 01:45 AM   #7
waananen79
Algae Grower

Yes these fish are verry Hardy a friend had a bunch of African cichlids (convicts) there black and white striped he fed them every other day and didn't do really any up keep and they kept spawning you shouldn't have any problum worries about African cichlids they don't like other fish I had them in my tank for two weeks they didn't like the fish I had and the pulled all my plants out and they were floating when I got home from work
waananen79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:46 AM   #8
waananen79
Algae Grower

My parents also have these fish now they have nested in here tank with the other cichlids they have and after a month they have reproduced
waananen79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:54 AM   #9
DCLyle
Algae Grower

Oh my! They like to reproduce huh.. Lol well I guess I am gonna need another tank for their offspring. Thanks for the comments guys. Really appreciate it!
Old 05-11-2013, 02:24 AM   #10
zackariah
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Default Re: 60 Gallon Memorial Tank

If you plan to do planted I recommend dwarfs/ apistogramas. They have similar personality. Plus you can keep other community fish with them! They don't eat or uproot plants either. As the above said convicts are like guppies. You start with a few and end up infested. Here is a cool pick of one of my German blue rams.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1368239085461.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	141306  

Old 06-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #11
DCLyle
Algae Grower

Haven't put any fish in my tank yet.. Just can't make a decision! Boo
Old 06-30-2013, 06:18 AM   #12
Xirxes
Algae Grower

If you want Africans, start using treated municipal tap water as a source. Most times it comes out very close to Tanganyican lake chemistry (GH 5-7, pH 8-8.2).

African cichlids can be very rewarding, colorful and HARDY AS TANKS.
Xirxes is offline   Reply With Quote