The Planted Tank Forum banner

My Dilemma: Would like your opinions.

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  limnidi 
#1 ·
Right now I have a 135 gallon that houses three severums, three Geophagus sp. "Bahi Red", twelve Red/Blue Columbian Tetras, three L134 Plecos, and three L200 Plecos. Thank tank is planted, has CO2, 320 watts of VHO light, is fertilized, etc.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 180 Tenecor acrylic tank with dual overflows but no stand or any other equipment. Just the tank and bulkheads. However, there is also another 175 gallon glass tanks that is "custom" with a three pane end on one side (think of the side of a hexagon). That tank comes with everything including stand, canopy, it is also drilled, has two Redsea Ocean Clear canisters with UV sterilizers, heaters, lights (do not know what kinds but it was a reef tank) and everything else. Only problem it is a lot more expensive (500 dollars more).

So here is my dilemma. I want to keep the fish I have in my 135 and add 11 Angels that I currently have in another tank. The 175 for reference is 28" high which would give the Angels a lot of top to bottom space and the the Geophagus and Severums spend most of the time near the bottom anyway. So which one? None of them? Would this be overstocked? What would you do? 180 or 175? Did I mention the 175 is setup to be a room divider (overflows in the center).

So long post, but I really just wanted to know what you all thought. The 11 Angels right now get along OK with no real aggression towards one another, however they are only about Quarter (1" body)size at the moment.

Thoughts? Thanks all, have a happy holiday!

Chris

See less See more
#4 ·
I love their tanks as well. Thanks for your opinion, I appreciate it.

What are the dimensions of your current 135 gallon tank? What are the dimensions of the 175 and 180?

Would you have to space for either the 175 or 180?
My 135 is 72"x"18"x24" and it would be going to be replaced with the 175 or 180. The 175 is odd shaped at 67"x20"x"28" and the 180 is 72"x24"x24". I have a space 72" x 36" to work with. So I would have space when I sold the 135 (partially to finance the purchase the other tank.)

#3 ·
What are the dimensions of your current 135 gallon tank? What are the dimensions of the 175 and 180?

Would you have to space for either the 175 or 180?

#6 ·
I would go with a 180, since it's almost the same dimensions as your 135, except it's deeper. I love the look of deep tanks.

#8 ·
I have a 125 gallon (72 1/2" x 18 1/2" x 23 3/8") with angels and discus. From observations, the angels and discus don't seem to care too much about the height of the tank, but more of the width and length. They don't really swim close to the surface, unless when they are hand fed, therefore, spend most of the time in the mid level and lower level of the tank.

#11 ·
I notice the same thing with my Angels, but they are only in an 18" high tank at the moment so did not know if it was just their current surroundings. Thanks for the info!

I have several planted tanks of different sizes and heights. While the difference from a 21" to a 24" tank doesn't sound like a lot....just three inches. However it is a world of difference. I've come to hate working in my 24" deep tank. I now make all design decisions for this tank based on minimal maintanence requirements. Being a smaller person (5'2") my armpit gets gouged by the rim when I'm trying to touch the gravel in the bottom of the tank. Now, I know that you can do plenty with tools - I do have a set of long tweezers and other stuff. However certain things are best done by hand. Ie., try removing well developed crypts without grasping them firmly by their bases and gently wiggling! You'll tear up either the plant or your whole substrate, or both.

I would give it some careful consideration before going for the tank which is 28" deep. It may turn out to be a nightmare for you to try working in - - unless you happen to be 6ft+++. If you do get the 175g, ask if they've got a snorkle to throw in? Just be sure to really test it based on your own physical proportions.
My 135 is 24 inches deep, but the stand is VERY low (too low at only about 26") but the canopy adds another 5 inches or so. I am 6 foot but still cannot reach the far back of the tank without a step stool. With a taller stand, taller tank, and taller canopy that snorkel is not looking like too much to ask for!

I had only really been thinking about the fish and not really me when it comes to the depth of the tank. I cannot keep foreground plants anyway (ALL of the fish just rip them out) so maybe I will be OK but you bring up some awesome points for me to consider, thanks.

Noob, I just would not give up length or depth for height, and you'd be losing both by choosing the 175 over the 180.
Thanks, and I agree. The extra 6 inches of front to back depth sure would make for a lot more space. My only want with the 175 is that it has the stand, canopy and everything else with it. This would make things easier to get everything setup faster. However it REALLY starts to make me think the 180 may be the best way to go, not to mention it is a lot cheaper.

Thanks for all your comments to this point, but what do you all think about the stocking? Would 11 angles, 3 severums, 6 geophagus, 12 tetras, and 6 plecos be OK in one tank? After reading I think the 180 is the best, but now I am concerned as to whether the stocking levels will be OK long term (a few years when everyone is full grown). Thoughts?

And btw, Merry Christmas!

- Chris

#9 ·
I have several planted tanks of different sizes and heights. While the difference from a 21" to a 24" tank doesn't sound like a lot....just three inches. However it is a world of difference. I've come to hate working in my 24" deep tank. I now make all design decisions for this tank based on minimal maintanence requirements. Being a smaller person (5'2") my armpit gets gouged by the rim when I'm trying to touch the gravel in the bottom of the tank. Now, I know that you can do plenty with tools - I do have a set of long tweezers and other stuff. However certain things are best done by hand. Ie., try removing well developed crypts without grasping them firmly by their bases and gently wiggling! You'll tear up either the plant or your whole substrate, or both.

I would give it some careful consideration before going for the tank which is 28" deep. It may turn out to be a nightmare for you to try working in - - unless you happen to be 6ft+++. If you do get the 175g, ask if they've got a snorkle to throw in? Just be sure to really test it based on your own physical proportions.

#12 ·
I don't know what a geophagus is, but aren't severums aggressive? I thought they were typically housed with more aggressive cichlids like the jack dempsey and green texas. I certainly could be mistaken, though!

#13 ·
Severums are peaceful fish if not a big territorial at times. Granted, I would not put anything small enough to fit in their mouths or they would be gone.

The Geophagus sp I have (cichlidforum.com profile description) are territorial as well but are well behaved as well. All the fish get along great and I believe to be attributed to them growing up together as juveniles. I just do not know what will happen if they were to all get into the tank together. I think I may need to post this question on the Cichlid Forum as well to get some of the South American Cichlid gurus' opinions.

Thanks for the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.