The Planted Tank Forum banner

They're out there...

4K views 41 replies 13 participants last post by  hubbahubbahehe 
#1 ·
I do a lot of hiking locally, and often look into the various streams and ponds. the following is a list of some of the things I have seen and or collected.

Ludwigia [yes, the same as offered in LFS]
Vallisneria or Sagittaria
Pond weed several varieties
Small Pondweed
Dwarf Hairgrass, makes a nice easy to grow plant
Duck Weed impossible not to grow, if you like a floater
Marsilea quadrifolia
Water Hyacinth
Water Lettuce
Riccia
Nitella
Water Moss
Penny wort
Fanwort / cabombqa
Water Sheild/Brasenia
various Lilies
various Milfoil

Any body else do this?

See less See more
#28 ·
Plantum,

Where on Long Island did you find such a variety of plants? I live in Farmingdale, and I've been to some of the local parks. But, the only
submerged plants I have encountered are cabomba, sag., and something
that looked like potamogeton (seaweed-like)

Brian

#29 ·
Planted these last night...first one I am thinking is Marsilea, the second looks like watersprite or a variety thereof, maybe hygro, who knows... LOL , and the third is just a mind blast, no clue as to even a guess here but it was growing submersed in almost 2 feet of water so I grabbed these small ones for a test.

Im just doing my part to rid this stream of its invasive species :D ... Not to mention they are pretty nice plants.

#33 ·
hubbahubbahehe said:
Say in your expeditions to acquire these plants, what kind of substrate have you found them to be flourishing in????/
All of the stuff I have found has been in a very thick silty oozy mud.

Sure makes me want to go down to the lake and scoop some up and put a layer of gravel on top of it ... just to see what happens.

#35 ·
Here I is... heh

These plants were growing in the sandy part of the stream which is on either side of that bridge. I walked upstream about 100 feet and then I went downstream about the same , maybe even further and there were no plants at all other then right at the bridge. The weird part is that where the sand stopped , so did the plants. Its almost like they were planted there purposely :shock:
But of course thats not the case... LOL
This water moves at a pretty good clip right there in that section so Im guessing that the sand is better for them to root in.
Most of the time I see the best plants in ponds and in the muck but they are never as clean looking as those from streams and flowing water. Also standing water plants have a tendency to get bug larvae and eggs on them much easier and need a bit more caution when putting them in your tank. :lol:

My experience with using " silty oozy mud" with gravel over it in a tank didnt work out to great for me... the plants loved it but it was a virtual timebomb under the substrate !
A "thin" layer covered with sand or gravel would be OK but I layed it in a bit thick. (80% Dirt, 20 % Sand Mix capped with sand)
An inch of it at most in the bottom of tank I think would be ideal, I will be trying it again as soon as I get time.

Im thinking of heading back to the stream for a bit more of the Marsilea in a few minutes before it goes bye bye for the winter... 6 more plants would do me perfectly. :D

#36 ·
#37 ·
The best way to visualize a landscape I have found is to just check out photos and piece together the changes mentally... I decided to go with the blue background after seeing amanos tanks HERE. He uses blue frequently and the tanks had such a fresh look to them I decided to give it a whirl... :wink:
There is no program out there "yet" that does that for you that I know of Plantum.

That website you posted is now bookmarked , nice site , thanks for the link Plantum .

As far as my unknown plant I think I have it ID'ed... its Samolus valerandi, HERE is a link to it , see if you agree with the plant name.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.