The Planted Tank Forum banner

Anyone using Finnex FugeRay Planted+ 48"

6K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  philipraposo1982 
#1 ·
Hey all,
Is anyone using the 48" planted+ perchance? They don't have PAR data yet on that one, so I'm looking for some advice. Currently running 4x 48" VHO bulbs in a lightly planted 2 month old tank (inherited setup). This thing is dumping out massive amounts of heat and I'm sure it's killing my power bill.. 12 year old technology.

I'm planning on going low-tech, likely DIY CO2. Thoughts on if the 48" planted plus would work? Tank is 24"x24"x48", 120 gallon. 3" mounting height, 3" of substrate so it's basically a wash there.

#2 ·
If you want very low light at substrate, 1 fixture, medium low is 2 fixtures, medium high would be 3 fixtures (of the planted+).

I have 2 planted+ on a 55G, 1 planted+ with a ray2 on a 37G, one fugeray and monster ray on a low light 46G anubias/java fern/moss tank. I will shortly be having 2 4'ers and 2 3'ers on a custom 100G extra long 90"x14"x18".

#4 ·
Dang... I was also looking into the planted + for my 55 g. Maybe just running a RayII at first then start running a planted + with it later down the line would do? That should help the most since you'll have high light then put in the red spectrum later to get an awesome setup.

#11 ·
On my 90 gallon 24" tall 48" wide tank I run 2 ray 2 and 1 monster ray to obtain high light and reds. I love it, fish pop reds work well. Plant growth tbd I have yet to plant it as I am transitioning tanks

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD

#12 ·
To be clear, the tank is 24" deep, 48" long. I might have written them in the wrong format - sorry about that. I've found a couple of full spectrum VHO bulbs from the LFS, but they won't last.

So I need to get to a PAR of 40-60 (I'm not wanting high-tech, so I'll stick to the low-mid light plants). 2 feet deep, 2 feet wide. I was thinking Ray II and Planted+, possibly adding a second RayII later on. Would this be sufficient for moderate growth for now, until I can get a second RayII?

#13 ·
I was thinking Ray II and Planted+, possibly adding a second RayII later on. Would this be sufficient for moderate growth for now, until I can get a second RayII?
I think two would be fine for low-med light, either one rayII and one planted+, or two rayIIs. If you add a third you'd be getting into the med-high range.

#14 ·
I also have a 120 gallon 24" deep tank. I have the 48" Marineland Aquatic LED fixture.

Wanted to add another LED and looked into Finnex. I tried both the Planted+ and the Ray2. I ended up keeping the Ray2 as I figured I could always reduce lighting with screening.

What would be your opinion of my lighting level with the Marineland and the Ray2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 ·
i have 75g (4 foot tank)
finnex planted plus suspended 21" above the substrate. this is low tech tank, no co2 or excel. at 21" with these specs the light needs to be raised a bit more. its too intense at this height imo.

if your wanted a high tech pressurized system with 1 planted plus it won't be enough. you will want a minimum two fixture

#17 ·
I just purchased 2 planted+ 48" for my 90g, replacing an Orbit fixture with 4 T5's and 2 150 HQI halos. The Orbit was way too much for what I needed, and I had to cut down on the halos to 4 hours a day.

But I am not sure if two Finnex fixtures are enough, and I have ordered a 3rd, MonsterRay to give me some added color that I had with my Gieseman T5's. Early impression is that they are not very bright, but may be my eyes being used to the halos. :)

I am going to let the 3 Finnexes run for awhile to see what happens to my plants.

Right now I have all rooted plants, and do not have any ground cover, tank is a planted Discus tank. I do use CO2 injection, and dose lightly with Flourish and heavily with Excel.

I would welcome anyone else's opinion or thoughts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.