The Planted Tank Forum banner

What to add to Cherries?

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  cantsay39 
#1 ·
So, I have a tank with some red cherry shrimp in it and was thinking about adding another variety of N. heteropoda to spice up the population. I'm not really sure what direction to take it in though.

Here are some of my ideas:
1. get some higher red varieties like painted or fire to increase the overall intensity of the red color I am getting in my cherry shrimp
2. Rili so that I can overtime have that new expression coming out within my population
3. Yellow/Blue/Chocolate/ect. so that I can make some sort of mixed color of sorts or have a ton of variation within clutches (or will these mixes only result in a ton of wild type looking clear offspring?)

yah, so I have ideas but not sure if any of them are good ideas lol

#12 ·
I am actually, I'm getting in tangerine tigers in a few days. I'm just wondering if there is anything I could play with to make the RCS population that I do have more interesting, I'm actually wondering about the interbreeding lol

#13 ·
As with the general consensus of the thread, mixing the grades will AVERAGE out your shrimp quality, not send it spiraling up or down.

Over time with enough culling the lower shrimp and higher shrimp will eventually result in the same-ish grade with what you started with, but you'll have more shrimp with a higher average quality. That's just how it always works.

I keep 2-3 shrimp species per tank, making sure to only mix the ones that live in median water parameters and will not interbreed. Hybrids are generally really ugly, most of them are brownish or less vibrantly colored, and the good ones don't breed true.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.