The Planted Tank Forum banner

Emerging as a 17.4g planted.

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Serygo 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm playing around with this one... Been looking at lots of lovely ideas... Eventually will probably save up for a controller to be high tech, but meandering my way to there... I've been piecing this together by just picking up things here and there.

Stats:
Tank: 17.4G Mr. Aqua (23.5"x11.75"x14.75" - LxWxH)
Filtration: Eheim 2213 Stock.
Lighting: 1x PAR38 LED 6500k Screw-In Bulb (Awaiting Arrival of 24" Ray2 7000k Daylight)
Timing: 10 Hours/Day
Heating: Hydor 200W In-Line Heater 1/2" Connection
Substrate: Flourite and "Natural" sand
Sterilizer: AquaTop 10W In-Line UV sterilizer
Inhabitants:
CO2:
Plants: To be... Blyxa japonica, DHG, xmas moss
Fertilizer:
Dosing:

Got a little excited and put everything in. PH was originally pretty high, above 8.0 and its working its way down to a current 7.3. Nothing living inside, just rocks, sand, flourite, and some manzanita look-alike wood. Just watching everything settle in and cycle before anything happens inhabitants wise.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Day 7: Need to figure out lighting, need to get uv sterilizer and heater...

The current lighting is just a clamp on ikea lamp I stole from my desk.
Bulb atm is 3500k, obviously not somewhere in the range of 5000k to 7000k.
Thinking bout ordering two or three of those gooseneck par 38 screw in bulb clamp on back of tank light fixtures, but all I've been reading are horrible reviews... Such that the clamp breaks consistently. Eyeballing a ray2 as well... Wanting to go with LED's.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Attachments

#7 ·
Okay. Ordered the hydor 200w 1/2" socket in line heater and an aqualife 10w in line uv sterilizer that way we can minimize how much actually gets placed in the tank.
Eventually I may add some in line CO2, more lighting obviously, and lily pipes.

I love your DIY Ray2 acrylic pipe w.chain hangers and I just want to see what it will look like with fishing line instead, AnotherHobby. It may look strange esthetically but kind of tricky at the same part. Love the chain though.

#9 ·
Sterilizer installed, hydor 200w in-line 1/2" heater installed. Light arrives tomorrow... Went with the ray2 for now.

Will give more of an update when everything settles in.

Deciding on a foreground plant... Thinking UG, DHG, baby tears, really not sure so far... No CO2 injection atm. Will keep researching it and looking for the right parts that just call my name.

#12 ·
...wait so you have a 2215 or 2217? You say you replaced the impeller, you mean you replaced the pump to get the proper gph you wanted?

You could overgrow some sort of moss on the branches of the driftwood to make a pretty cool looking "tree underwater."
Thats what I was wanting... I want the rocks to have some sort of red, so I'm thinking about Blyxa aubertii as i love the Blyxas ability to get all big and bushy... Thats why im like... Hmmm a big bushy red plant (if I can achieve the red) behind a big green tree hanging over the rocks.

My tree is made from two pieces of small manzanita "bonsai" pieces wedged together. I may go out n find some sort of long piece of driftwood/wood, end up sandblasting it if it has bark... Sinking it by placing it in a tub of water, boiling it and doing that process for a total of twice then connect it to the existing tree to extend it out over the open area, moreso... Then it places a disconnect between the rocks and tree so then you can distinguish which plants are from where. Cliffs or tree.

#14 ·
DIY Project. Loving the idea of everyones and needed my own. Inspiration was from many different places for how this is going to work. I wanted swivel included, interchangeable, repairable, easily customizeable, and wanted that heavier looking material...

I had been looking at ideas for several moments, but I added a few features at the last minute while purchasing and breaking it down in my head in the aisle.
Cost me about $30.00 tax included.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.