The Planted Tank Forum banner

Shrimp breeding

2K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  Kirbybtf 
#1 ·
I just set up a shrimp breeding evolve 4 and an having trouble deciding what would be best for my first time breeding. Any suggestions? They will be going to my LFS and in to the raok thread till I breed something worthwhile. Also I have an otto, hill stream loach, and nerite snails in the tank currently, will that pose a problem for breeding?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

#2 ·
It poses a problem for those fish, which all need bigger tanks.

Ottos need a minimum of 6g with 4-6 friends.

Hill stream loaches are out of my knowledge, but a quick google shows they need 30gals plus.

#3 ·
Both are babies, the hillstream was in my cichlid tank and was getting beaten up so I moved him for now. The otto I didn't know about! I always seem them in nano tanks and assumed it was ok. Thank you for the info!

#5 ·
As far as shrimp. Start simple. Neos are fantastic also malawas are in my opinion better because they are full of such personality and color variance. You can keep malawas with any type of shrimp and they won't interbreed. Both are super easy to keep and will give you much satisfaction with breeding and entertainment. If you are looking for a vendor for malawas hit up Bryce (soothing shrimp) I think he also has some neos

#8 ·
To me Malawa look like fancy ghost shrimp. I'd like something with color that people would be excited to get in a raok. Neos seem a bit pale in color or maybe it's just the pictures I'm seeing. Any ideas?

#9 · (Edited)
LOL Do these look pale to you?

Water Underwater Liquid Terrestrial plant Fish

Now admittedly I've selectively bred for dark color, and the occasional transparent green or blue is thrown, but I don't think this looks like ghost shrimp. :icon_mrgr They are not as solid as higher grade cherries though, and still have a translucent quality to them.

As far as cherries, it really depends on what grade you get. Check this link out to an old thread. Keep in mind, since this thread was made, PFR were bred into a true strain and are stable http://www.aquaticquotient.com/foru...-Grading-system-of-Cherry-to-Fire-Red-Shrimps

Another nice thing is that "cherries" come in different colors as well. Just about any color is hardy, but yellows people tend to have a challenge with in breeding and sometimes even keeping alive. The strain you get is kind of a crapshoot with them thar yellers.

#10 ·
Those look amazing! I haven't been looking at the right pictures clearly! I do plan on "thinning my herd" and selling off the pale colored shrimpettes, while keeping the darker bred. If it works well I will know I can do it with crs. Are the Malaw fairly cheap? I'm looking to start a colony of roughly 10-15.

#13 ·
As this is my first attempt I'm going to start slow in my evolve 4 and see how it goes. If I enjoy the process I'll upgrade to my 10, 30, or even 55 gallon! I can't fit that many shrimp in my 4 gallon :p I heard its. 5-6 per gallon correct?

#18 ·
Is there a good guide anywhere for beginner shrimp breeders? I'm seeing things in other forums about mineralization additives and other things and top be quite honest is over whelming! I'd like to get a good grasp on this before I attempt any shrimp breeding. Luckily I have at least a week before I can order some.

Also, in using eco complete as my substrate right now, will that suffice?

#21 ·

This is the tank in going to use, im looking to start with Malawas after talking with soothing Shrimp. It's an evolve 4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.