ADA CO2 Advance System
Do! Aqua Diffuser

Substrate
Fluval Shrimp Stratum 8lb bag x3

Hardscape
Petrified Wood

See less See more
#2 ·
Scape looks great, love the petrified wood.

What are your plans for plants? I'm a little confused as to why you went shrimp stratum over aqua soil but then opted to buy ada's c02 setup? I ask that because I have used aqua soil with amazing results and if was given the opportunity to buy one item from ADA it would def be aqua soil hands down.
I take it you plan on growing a carpet since you have c02 and your setup is iwagumi.

#3 ·
Scape looks great, love the petrified wood.

What are your plans for plants? I'm a little confused as to why you went shrimp stratum over aqua soil but then opted to buy ada's c02 setup? I ask that because I have used aqua soil with amazing results and if was given the opportunity to buy one item from ADA it would def be aqua soil hands down.
Thanks, I'm still playing with the rocks, while I wait for my light to get in.

I picked up the soil at the LFS when I picked up the rocks. small grain is supposed to be good for shrimp. I'm thinking dwarf baby tears and hairgrass.

Haven't decided on fish yet. suggesions?

#4 · (Edited)
Shrimp stratum has no nutrients in it for your plants roots which will make it harder to get that carpet you want. Some root tabs could help. Also the satellite plus is low light on most standard size tanks, on a tank as shallow as yours I think it's considered medium. I picked one up for a moss only tank last month, still testing it out. I recall a post where someone on here could not grow DHG for their life with the satellite even with co2 and EI. Not sure how well it's going to do for plants like HC that like a lot of co2 and light. Sorry to sound so negative it's not my intention.

What type of shrimp you going for?

#6 ·
nice hardscape arrangement.

as a long time user of Fluval shrimp stratum, i highly recommend avoiding it if the intent is to keep shrimp. Its just too unpredictable and there is not benefit other than asthetics... There are better alternatives out there.

#7 ·
Thanks, @acitydweller. What do you mean unpredictable?

I feel committed to the substrate at this point. I did spend a fair amount of change on it already, so I'd hate to dump it. I added a 4lb bag of the regular plant stratum and put about 10 flourish tabs in the bed, so I should be good as far as plant nutrients go.

I'm also planning on using flourish excel and CO2 to help with the carpeting.

On asthetics, I'm hoping it will be a non-issue, since I'm planning for complete ground cover.

Thoughts?

#17 ·
Added first round of livestock this week.

25 Orange Bee Shrimp
5 Clown Killies

Next will be 3-5 Scarlet Badis.

My ADA CO2 kit is crapping out on me, so I'm considering going for the paintball CO2 tank and Aquatek Regulator Mini unit for size and integrated solenoid.

Anybody have experience with this setup?

#20 ·
consider a double stage regulator, dont go cheap on co2 equipment. Save up and spend it on something that is of high quality and will last. Non dual stage regulators have an "end of tank dump" where the co2 tank empty's all at once and it can gas your fish if you do not pay attention to how much co2 you have left. Just putting this out there. Talk to the forum members oldpunk or bettatail, they are super knowledgeable on this subject but bettatail has been busy lately. Either way, do some research and you can thank me later.

#21 ·
January 3 Update

Orange bee shrimp colony is holding strong after a few weeks. Only a few jumpers, and maintaining good color. I have observed some pretty cool color changing going one. Lots of fluctuation from a drab orange grey to extremely dense, almost opaque, true orange coloring. No breeding signs yet.

I also ordered and received two scarlet badis trios. An amazing little fish, and my second time having a few.

The brass tetras that I added sortly after the shrimp don't seem to be doing all that well in the aquarium. I've lost about 4 or 5, about half the original group, to jumping. The rest seem safe in that regard, but may be having a tough time getting used to their environment, or my expectations for their behavior is incorrect. They tend to spend a lot of time to be what sreems like hiding in the dwarf hairgrass. I may need to get some shade makers to help them out a bit. it will be a while before the plants have grown in, and I can train them on a little less light.

Some pictures.

#22 ·
My eheim 2211, which I've had in service for about 6 years and have only ever fixed the drive shaft of the propeller, started giving me some trouble. The flow has been reduced about 75%. Couldn't fix it before I left the office, so I turned off the CO2 and reduced the lights a bit. Hopefully the reduces stimulation will keep the water quality up for a few days until I can address the issue. I also did a 20% weekly water change, so I'm going to let myself think it will be okay.

#26 ·
The lights are working great. I don't think I need a second set. I have to get my CO2 regulated with a solenoid before I make adjustments to the lights.

I also just added a second Eheim 2211 pump. The single pump was not enough to keep film from collecting on the surface, and provide adequate flow around the entire tank. As a result, I've a significant growth increase from my hair grass. All inhabitants seem to be fine with the added flow, fish, shrimp, plants.

Will update with some new photos soon. I can't, in good conscience, take shots with the eheim inflow/outflow tubes in there. Ordered a new outflow from Aqua HK on ebay, will be here in a week. I'll order my inflow from Cal Aqua Labs when I get my allowance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.