The Planted Tank Forum banner

Black sand options in Canada

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  tinkerpuppet 
#1 ·
I currently have black flourite capped with a light gravel in my tank that is cycling (no fishies yet). I've been humming and hawing, and made a bad unplanned attempt at removing the gravel. But I have decided the yes, I want to remove the gravel (before things get too settled in), and I want to recap with black sand. I was thinking flourite black sand, but that's another $30. I'm just wondering if there are any other less expensive black sand options? I've heard of black blasting grit, but I'm not sure where I'd source that in Canada. I'm planning on doing this on Friday, so I need to find something before then.

Any suggestions? If I can't find anything else, I'm fine with the flourite, but it seems every time I turn around I'm spending another $30 :smile:

#3 ·
Hmmm, that's a good point. I wonder how long that would take? If it was a year or two, that would be fine, I get the itch to change things up by then. But if it was within a couple months, then I wouldn't bother. I'd just get another bag of Flourite Black then. Thanks for the tip about Big Als, they're a bit further down the road then the LFS I usually go to, but not too far.

I also found this stuff online at my lfs. Not sure I like the look of it quite as much though, but I can get it in 5lb bags which is nice. I wouldn't need all 7kg of the Flourite.

#4 ·
That bag of black substrate is a good option especially if you don't want a big bag. I've used ExoTerra black sand in a tank as well. Comes in about the same size bag.

Alternatively... Sil industries or Burnco should have black beauty or something similar, although you'll be getting that in much larger quantities, but cheaper than that little bag.

#6 ·
Thanks Creekbottom. I think I'll skip the hunting down other options. My time is limited and its not worth driving around the city to save $10 (or whatever it might be). I'm not filling the tank, just topping off the substrate. But I'm glad to hear you did okay with the Exoterra sand.

Thanks exv152! I can't see the difference between Seachem Onyx Sand and Seachem Flourite Black Sand. Is it just a colour difference? Or is it more then that? I already have flourite black as a base, so I'm not sure its worth the extra nutrients to cap it too. Now if they sold half size bags...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.