The Planted Tank Forum banner

planning trip from ohio to cali any suggestions

1K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Diana 
#1 ·
we are planning a road trip from ohio to cali this year does anyone have any suggestions on where to stop along the way. we will be camping and doing a little hiking

#7 ·
The 5 freeway up from SD to LA is a nice drive(assuming you dont get traffic). San Diego is worth the trip, its only 1.5 hrs from LA and downtown SD is like no other city. Check out seaport village, petco park and the gaslamp district. The big tourist stuff is Sea World and the Zoo and the Sad Diego Wild Animal Park(which is awesome, way better than any zoo).

You can hop on Pacific coast Highway anywhere and have a great drive up the coast. There is good beach camping by San Onofree, San Clemente areas between LA and SD also.

Have a good time!

#8 ·
I have to agree with rhyte on the SD trip. Well worth it, and the beaches are nice there. When my best friends and I go to LA, we always take a day to go to SD just to go to the beach.

Los Angeles isn't THAT great in my opinion, but its probably because it is like a second home to me with all the traveling I do there. But you guys will have fun. If you plan on coming up north on the way back, I would suggest stopping off in Santa Barbara. It's beautiful and if you end up just taking 101 all the way to Northern Cali, then the drive is great. I don't take that route, as I like the shortest one possible. If you do make it up the Bay Area, you can visit half moon bay, Pacifica, and places like those. Beaches are nice, but are cold. Then there is the Redwoods, its so beautiful there and you might be able to pick up some Manzy too! lol

#9 ·
Badlands National Park in South Dakota. We drove through when I was a kid and got caught in a herd of bison, it was amazing. I70 through Colorado is also beautiful this time of year. I'd also drive up the California coast on the "1" clear up to Seattle if you have that kind of time. Big Sur has some nice camping. Hit the LFS "Nature Aquarium" in Santa Monica too, it's really worth it if you hit LA. I wouldn't spend too much time in LA or even bother driving down to San Diego. Northern California is much more road trip worthy in my opinion. If you're into hiking there is a great website called "Local Hikes" that could help you dial in some spots along the way.

#11 ·
being from SD i would also agree on the trip here theres so much to do if you are a sufer u can surf, if u like to fish we have some of the best saltwater and freshwater fishing in america, there are plenty of beaches my fav is mission and la jolla cove also there plenty of nice parks, u have to go to balboa park which is right next to the zoo, i dont take many road trips to LA but u for sure need to come to SD it will be well worth it i personally will think u will like it better than LA.

#14 ·
awesome awesome thanks for the suggestions so far... we are going to be spending a significant amount of time in la... its a family visit for my gf so they are going to want to be there for at least a week

we were going to stop in a small town on the beach called carpinteria anyone heard of it?

the south dakota thing sounds awesome for the trip back ill have to see if i can squeeze it in

i really want to make it up to nor cal but i just hope we have enough time to actually do it i keep trying to slowly coax the gf into it... but i dont know if she is too keen on the idea yet... but i really want to see the redwoods!
shes more keen on the Yosemite idea... which would still be rewarding im assuming

#15 ·
If you can take a bit of time in California, it does not get any more beautiful (in my opinion) than the trip on Highway 1 between San Luis Obispo and Monterey. Particularly, the Big Sur area. Redwoods, amazing blue water, tons of wildlife.

I grew up camping in the area. Now I do a bit of backpacking every once in a while down there. I recommend getting out of your car to walk around. You won't be disappointed.;)

#16 ·
Muir Woods (Marin County, north of San Francisco)

Monterey:
Cannery Row
Monterey Bay Aquarium

San Francisco:
Aqua Forest, the ADA store.
China Town
Fisherman's Wharf (Most seacoast towns have a 'Fisherman's Wharf')
Strybing Arboritum
California Academy of Science

Central California:
Yosemite Valley (Hiking, camping, beautiful scenery)
Lake Tahoe (On the CA/Nevada border)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.