The Planted Tank Forum banner

First planted 12g Long (56K warning)

11K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  kevreh 
#1 ·
Dear Journal,

I've been reading and reading and reading so much that I finally feel the confidence to stop reading and start doing. I'm using a special concotion of top soil i made from my parents back yard. The whole community was built on top of what used to be a cabbage patch farm. All of the neighbors and my parents included grow lots of organic fruits and veggies so I have high hopes for this soil. I dug a 7 foot hole to get the deepest cleanest soil as possible. There are some patches where the flourite black is thin so the soil rises up from through the rocks. I will probably regret it later but planning on covering it more.

Of course i want a very beautiful hardscape and beautiful plants but my goal with this aquarium being my first is to GROW! I know i can do much better but i really want to start and make my first. Once i have the experience I will look at re scaping or maybe another ;)

12 Gal Mr. Aqua
DIY LED strip
Flourite Black
Homebrewed top soil + organic soil mix (need to get list of items)
Odyssea 36" (Temporary light in the mail)
Eheim Ecco 2232 (in the mail)

Drwaf Hairgrass
Hemianthus callitrichoides

Petrified Wood
Some annonymous rock

When i opened the box to my surprise!

IMG_2538 by CFrancisco, on Flickr

ha!

While i get the rest of my supplies and leak test the tank, i put "Eli" in the tank. I need to get a bigger tank for him, he swam like there was no tomorrow!

IMG_2547 by CFrancisco, on Flickr

Basic look idea

IMG_2544 by CFrancisco, on Flickr

IMG_2545 by CFrancisco, on Flickr

My mud concoction

IMG_2551 by CFrancisco, on Flickr

IMG_2554 by CFrancisco, on Flickr

IMG_2560 by CFrancisco, on Flickr

IMG_2561 by CFrancisco, on Flickr

IMG_2566 by CFrancisco, on Flickr

IMG_2570 by CFrancisco, on Flickr

IMG_2581 by CFrancisco, on Flickr

5/13/2012

It's been 3 days and believe it or not i'm already seeing the HC grow! :) Not much but the mini branches are actually reaching up and it's starting to look alive! I also got rid of the 2nd rock to make room for a row of hairgrass. Ultimately i want the Hairgrass to surround the edges of the aquarium left and right. It will be mainly wrapped around the Petrified wood.

HC Planted, and Hairgrass

IMG_3109 by CFrancisco, on Flickr

Mini harscape tweak

IMG_3114 by CFrancisco, on Flickr

First Photo of hairgrass

IMG_3104 by CFrancisco, on Flickr

IMG_3124 by CFrancisco, on Flickr

HC Already growing! Yay!

IMG_3123 by CFrancisco, on Flickr

See less See more
#5 ·
How much was shipping for that human?

I like the betta in there with that simple hardscape. Very Zen.

I was thinking for my next trip. That's how I'm going to travel.

#9 ·
New update 11/11/12

I had some rosie barbs that dug up all the hc :/ So i got rid of them and planted a piece of Bacopa Madagascariensis Glosso and a few other species. The grasshair died but all good. Tank is running healthy and i'm happy with it so far! I would love to re scape it now that i have the feel for it but i will wait till next year...

IMG_3611 by CFrancisco, on Flickr

sidetank by CFrancisco, on Flickr

IMG_3609 by CFrancisco, on Flickr

IMG_1476 by CFrancisco, on Flickr

#12 ·
Long overdue update:
2/4/2013
I wanted to "work with what i had" so this is what i came up with. Glosso has been growing since my last update. It plateaued with my minimal osmocotte and semi weekly water changes but i threw in some Co2 and now dosing EI and blaow! it's taken off since.

I have some anubias, Staurogyne repens, glosso, javamoss, and amazon frog bit..

IMG_2381 by CFrancisco, on Flickr

img_2374 by CFrancisco, on Flickr

IMG_2382 by CFrancisco, on Flickr

#15 ·
Thanks! Struggled a bit at first because i rushed into it but in the end it was an experience!

Impressive tank! I love the re-scape. Great pics - it's always refreshing to see an artist behind the lens, capturing and sharing their planted project.

I've never seen Staurogyne repens before; definitely going to try and find some now! Rad plant!
Thank you!

3/9/2013

Clearly the floaters won this battle...

#17 ·
Marine depot!

Update, currently rescaping, the riccia went nuts and got so heavy when it pearled it lifted the driftwood off the scape! So now i'm selling all the riccia and glosso... going for a new look this time stay tuned!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.