The Planted Tank Forum banner

Hastatus vs. Habrosus vs Pygmaeus

13K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  wendyjo 
#1 ·
I was an invert guy for a long time, but I always loved the little corydoras. I've owned each of the 3 miniatures before, but I have never owned them at the same time and in the same 50 gallon tank. I have to say, this is an epic win. It is absolutely fascinating to note their differences and similarities as cohabitants in the same tank.

The Hastatus are all about togetherness. They are always together, and if not, searching for their brethren. School is their thing.

The Habrosus are truly the bottom feeders. They are in every nook and crevice of each rock or plant, and they never give up.

Pygmaeus are the chameleons. They will school with the Hastatus or else chill on the bottom with the Habrosus. They are like the cool cats.

It's amazing to see them, a dozen at at time, all in the same tank. I guess I always imagined that I would make this simple combination happen someday, and I'm happy that the day finally came.

p.s. Their current tank was an International Aquascaping Finalist (circa 2012) that also once housed a pretty great strain of PRL. That was such a difficult balance to maintain at the time, but this is so simple and fun.

See less See more
#3 ·
I have all three of them as well. My pygmys are in the same tank as the hastatus. The habrosus are in a different tank. All are breeding and it is so nice that they don't eat their own eggs. But I found all of them to be very shy when compared to other larger corys.

#5 ·
In fairness, the tank itself isn't much to look at these days. It hasn't even seen CO2 in years and is mostly just a hardscape with some low light plants thrown in. Life, work, and other hobbies dragged me away from aquascaping and breeding inverts so this is my first foray back into all that's aquatic. I've missed it.

#17 ·
I had 25 pygmy in Quarantine and 6 died within a 24 hour period after a salt bath. They were dropping like flies. QUOTE]
Corys are very sensitive to their water. So sensitive to chemicals, because they are `scaleless` fish. so possibly rather sensitive to salt too. Right? Or not? By the way any good tips on breeding/keeping cory hastatus? cas i'm getting a school soon.

#8 ·
Why would you give them a salt bath?

#12 ·
Let me rephrase, They get a week long bath in salt. Then they get transitioned over to freshwater for 1 week eating kanamycin flake , then 1 final week of Paraguard. Then I consider them safe to move. I am going to do these guys longer because they could not stand the salt. I hear they are shrimp safe so I plan to pop them in there maybe today or Saturday. :)

#19 ·
I bought 10 hasbrosus last week. Let me tell you, these guys are extremely cute and comical! I've caught them swimming alongside my CPDs, what goofballs! :) I was originally looking to purchase the hastatus, but changed my mind because I wanted a cory that's a bottom-dweller. I'm an not disappointed with my decision and I am hoping to get more in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.