The Planted Tank Forum banner

I need some PRL opinions

6K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  chan011 
#1 ·
So far, my PRL project is going quite well. I have 30 PRLs from 3 different colonies, everyone is happy, I've never had a death, 4 or 5 are berried, and I have about 50 shrimplets grazing about.

That said, I have been contemplating the word "pure" in PRL. Pure means "not kept with Goldens". That makes plenty of sense. But what about BKK? If I kept, let's say, Ruby Reds in my PRL tank, would the "purity" take a hit on any level? Personally, I don't think so, but I wanted to get a take from anyone else who is either keeping PRL or who have thought about this topic.

#4 ·
I don't understand keeping Taiwan bees with PRL/PBL either. If it's to get some mischlings then low grade should do. People try to get more coverage of blue on BB by specifically using lower grade of golden to bring out the blue.

Also, if the purpose is to get mischlings to get more TBs, I'd think using lower grade should be easier as they are tougher.

So, I'll grab a seat and learn in this thread.

#6 ·
Sorry for the Highjack? If you keep PRL of three different strains and mix them isn't that consider tainting the genes also?

Lets say you purchased Beni, Crimson, and Shawn's CRS. They are all PRL, but once you mix them you can't link them back to one PRL line. It's true, that it's difficult to sell them back without direct authorization from the PRL dealer.

I guess your going to have to name them Jetti's PRL now.

BTW in your opinion what's the most solid color line you have purchased?

#7 ·
Pretty well answered, but just to add my own experience in creating some mischlings is some of them come out pretty ugly mainly in terms of the red seems to become more brownish in color, but also occasionally the white is not all that solid. I definitely would not keep PRL with TB.

#9 ·
Jimko in some since you are right. But I think the whole "pure" part in it just references not being breed with goldens. So in a since they mixin 5 or 10 different say brands of prl and they would still be a prl, but just of your own prl. Heck all these shrimp started from someone batch some where down the road.

#10 ·
Guilty! I keep my pure lines with TB because I can. :) I'm not trying to breed for profit like some others here. I'm an importer. I put my shrimp where there's room and similar water parameters.

If I were to breed I'd keep em strictly "PRL", no mixing of anything else. Don't mix in TBs Raymond, even tho I'm sure you're tempted due to the recent price drop ;).

#14 ·
Maybe your definition is different, but here is what I follow

PRL: Pure Red Line, these CRS have never crossed with golden.

PBL: Pure Blood Line, these bee shrimps have never crossed with shrimps not in the same line.

Summary: PBL is by designation, PRL is by genetic. A PBL doesn't need to be a PRL, and a PRL doesn't need to be a PBL.

So my take on this matter is : One kind of PRL cross the other kind of PRL, the result is still PRL by definition.

PBL on the other hand, lose its status once cross with shrimps not in the same line.

Here is the tricky part, Superman's PBL (if also a PRL) x Batment's PBL (if also a PRL), the result is PRL but not PBL, unless Ironman gets them and starts line breeding them and calls then Ironman PBL (also PRL).

That said, a beautiful shrimp is a beautiful shrimp, and every shrimp is beautiful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.