The Planted Tank Forum banner

29g "Jagged Peaks"

25K views 135 replies 46 participants last post by  h4n 
#1 ·
Hi, everyone. once again i have succumb to my fish tank addiction and gotten another tank. ive been planning this 29g tank for some time now and even trekked out to find the hard scape at a local beach before i even got the tank. but in the end i got this lovly tank from Han(H4n) and went at it right away. took a lot of cleaning but spruced it back up to its former glory. as of right now i have a HOB filter from one of my old tanks going, just to start the cycling process along. still trying to figure out the plant layout that i want to put in this tank but it will be started very very soon. As i want a very simplistic tank layout.

here is the start of the tank while setting it up last night!

the stand i made with 4x4s and 2x4s with a walnut stain finish using roofing brackets.

_DSC6400 by marioman72, on Flickr

_DSC6389 by marioman72, on Flickr

started with play sand and root tabs

_DSC6388 by marioman72, on Flickr

here are some of the rocks that i collected form the local beach. in addition to the many that are all ready in the tank. i believe its granite witch there is a tun of locally in New England.

_DSC6390 by marioman72, on Flickr

after an hour or so of tampering with the rock placement, and a little help from some friends lifting the rocks to me, i came up with this placement. took a tun of tweaking to get it to this stage, im quite happy with the layout.

_DSC6395 by marioman72, on Flickr

_DSC6397 by marioman72, on Flickr

started filling it, in total took about 45min :/

_DSC6398 by marioman72, on Flickr

_DSC6399 by marioman72, on Flickr

All in all im very happy with the hard scape. cant wait to put plants into this tank. so far im thinking i want DHG, maybe try my hand at some UG for the foreground. but not sure yet on a mid and background plants. we will see what happens this week!

See less See more
#126 ·
thanks! yea i agree they make everything a lot smaller but in hope of breeding this is my largest tank haha i would love to set up another tank for just these guys but i have no more room in my fish room hahah.

that monumental rockscape looks good and is quite an inspiration! Really like the way the plants at the base of the rocks fill in the gaps. (my own meager attempts at aquascaping do not even come close...)

(IMO the angels are a bit too big for your composition...though they are lovely fish..wish you the best of success with breeding them)

Very sad to hear about the losses due to the power outages caused by the nor'easter.
yea it sucks but im over it now. glad it could be of inspiration! maybe in the future ill have another tank to take these guys out and have thier own space haha. but if they dont breed with in the next few months they r getting booted for more rummys hahah

This scape is really different, I like it a lot. Great job on it!
thanks! im trying to make this the best one i have done!

I really like the hardscape of this tank with the peaks. You do a nice job with fill in the plants in the open areas. Nice job!
flow is a big part in this tank and getting the upwards feel is very important.

#123 ·
that monumental rockscape looks good and is quite an inspiration! Really like the way the plants at the base of the rocks fill in the gaps. (my own meager attempts at aquascaping do not even come close...)

(IMO the angels are a bit too big for your composition...though they are lovely fish..wish you the best of success with breeding them)

Very sad to hear about the losses due to the power outages caused by the nor'easter.

#127 ·
New quick update!

got tooka couple pics yesterday before i got rid of my angel fish. i traded them in to the LFS after getting sick of them :/ as everyone said they r just to big. they never paired so i figured i got to males or something of the sort. ether way they r gone now for something more interesting soon to come. not sure what that is quite yet but we will see on monday!

my kribs have formed a fantastic pair! i called them the married couple of the tank because of their personality haha. they have made their own cave and they live together in this little dwelling while the females pregnant defending and clean it constantly. quite cool to see

other wise the plants and everything are doing fantastic. i took out all of the DHG because it was getting to messy and now have only blyxa with a few things of hyrdocotyle here and there. the stem plant in the back is just their for now until i can find a place for it somewhere in one of my tanks. had no were to put it except in that back corner

well anyways tuns of pictures time!

_DSC7040 by marioman72, on Flickr

_DSC7043 by marioman72, on Flickr

_DSC7046 by marioman72, on Flickr

_DSC7048 by marioman72, on Flickr

_DSC7054 by marioman72, on Flickr

_DSC7053 by marioman72, on Flickr

#134 ·
thank you! yea there isnt going to be anymore plants in this tank just reg maintenance and trimming!

great scape. very original going all the way to the top with that rock peak. Love the krib as well.
thanks i was going for a dramatic hardscape and i think got it on point with this scape

nice scape! my favorite part about it is the depth you created with the blyxa on right side. very nice and very inspirational!!! :)
the depth in the end came out fantastic. the varying rock sizes also add to this effect in combo with the blyxa.

#135 ·
well i havnt posted on this thread in a lont while and i finaly felt it was time to make an update! the tank has about seen its way through and is ready to make a new scape! this was def a cool scape while it lasted and will def have to try something similar to this in the future but for now i have a plan for a super drastic change going from all rock to all wood! with in the next week or so ill make the change but for now an update on what the tanks looking like now a days.

_DSC8412 by marioman72, on Flickr

_DSC8428 by marioman72, on Flickr

_DSC8429 by marioman72, on Flickr

_DSC8418 by marioman72, on Flickr

i have a big plan for the next scape on this tank and my 20g will have a change after this one as well! cant wait to see how it comes out after i plan it all out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.