The Planted Tank Forum banner

**PRL in the Mist** - JULY Updates

58K views 207 replies 60 participants last post by  Cajun27 
#1 · (Edited)
Here are a few pics of my progress so far on my relatively lo-tech shrimp project. It will be a BKK tank, and I'm dry-starting the moss with a reptile fogger - Hence, "Gorillas (BKK) in the Mist (Fogger)".

Tank: ADA 90p
Substrate: Akadama Double-Red w/Osmocote
Lighting: 2 Current USA TrueLumen Pro Led bars. For the dry-start only, I am using a 150w MH as well with ADA bulb.
Fauna: BKK. May focus on WR. Will have a neo component as well. May be PFR, may be the very bluest of my blue pearls or blue rili. Not decided.
Flora: Mini Pelia carpet. Mini pelia attached to rock scape via dry-start. Willow moss for some branches. Belem in a few key spots. I haven't decided on any background stems yet. May pull from other tanks. Still a consideration.

UPDATE: Anubias nana petite,Golden Nesaea, Hydro tripartita

CO2: I will likely pump in CO2 post flood to prevent any chance of melting. Later, I will consider jettisoning this all together as the TrueLumen Pro may not put out enough PAR to make me excessively worry about algae.
Filtration: I nixed the UGF, and I'm going with a SunSun 403b coupled with two sponge filters that will be hidden. The SunSun will be attached to a Jaqno 1.5L external pre-filter for ease of maintenance and more bio. A steel pre-filter on the intake glass (likely acrylic) will further slow down flow.

ADDED: Purigen reactor via leftover RO/DI canister and parts.

Rocks: They are a combination of ADA and found rocks. Focused mostly on color for consistency. Obviously, since this is a 90p, all the rocks turned this from a 48 gallon to a.... great question. I don't know the size any longer. It could be more like a 25 now.

Plan: I want to dry-start this for a few months since MP is one of the slowest growers possible. Best-laid plans... so we'll see. I'm only a few weeks into it now. As I'm using an external reptile fogger to keep it uber-humid, it's not much of a hassle yet. The mini-pelia stays super damp on rocks, and not so much on branches. May use more willow moss then first thought.

The biggest part of the experiment will be to see how a dry-started moss like MP clings to the larger pebbles of the Akadama post-flood. For rocks? I've done this experiment already so I am not worried on that front quite yet. It will stick and flourish no problem.

***I should add that there is a handful of smaller, foreground rocks going into place soon that will be seen in newer updates. This is done to further tie the scape together and make it less disjointed.

See less See more
#193 ·
youjettisonme

I do have a couple of question, if you dont mind.
1. Will MP grow in warmer temperatures?
2. Will Monosolenium Tenerum behave in the same fashion as MP and attach itself to wood or rock via the dry start method?
3. Whats the latest on your scape man???

Thanks
Darius

#195 ·
Hey there. I have been really neglectful of both messageboards and even my tanks lately. I started racing bicycles again, and 200 miles a week is keeping me pretty busy. I miss it though!

As for the mosses, it's all DSM. I think that I detail it pretty specifically in this thread, but I know that Aquascaping World is doing an article on this tank soon so you should look out for it. I go super in depth on all the methods I employed to make this tank flourish.

As for the tank itself, it's going well. I barely touch it, and it still manages to look cared for some how. Got to love the slow growers. Now my 90p in the other room? That's another story entirely. It makes jungles look well kept.

#201 ·
#204 ·
such a... glorious tank :D

really love it!

and congrats with the contest too
Thanks guys! This is the first time I've checked TPT in quite sometime. This tank is still doing quite well, and I do nothing but top-offs now, and feed the shrimp two or three times a week. In its history post-flood/first week, it's still only endured a single 20% water change (if memory serves me). However, the mini pellia is now a overrun forest that needs trimming so badly. I could probably sell a few feet of it I'd imagine.

My 60fs are fine but similarly left alone. They look like jungles right now. My other 90p doesn't even look scaped anymore unfortunately. I still have a big rescape planned for that in February or March though.

#207 ·
This is AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING! it looks so natural and beautiful it just blows my mind. I am dry starting moss right now (just started today actually) and this is total inspiration for me :D I am definitely subscribing to this! keep up the amazing work-i will look for updates.

#208 ·
Awesome tank!
I know you are pumping in very low CO2 now, but can you give a rough idea on how much CO2 you pumped in when you switched from emersed to submersed? Also, did you keep track of the temperature in the emersed state when you were misting? What temperature do you keep the tank at presently? Ohhhh, so many questions, ha! Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.