The Planted Tank Forum banner

**PRL in the Mist** - JULY Updates

58K views 207 replies 60 participants last post by  Cajun27 
#1 · (Edited)
Here are a few pics of my progress so far on my relatively lo-tech shrimp project. It will be a BKK tank, and I'm dry-starting the moss with a reptile fogger - Hence, "Gorillas (BKK) in the Mist (Fogger)".

Tank: ADA 90p
Substrate: Akadama Double-Red w/Osmocote
Lighting: 2 Current USA TrueLumen Pro Led bars. For the dry-start only, I am using a 150w MH as well with ADA bulb.
Fauna: BKK. May focus on WR. Will have a neo component as well. May be PFR, may be the very bluest of my blue pearls or blue rili. Not decided.
Flora: Mini Pelia carpet. Mini pelia attached to rock scape via dry-start. Willow moss for some branches. Belem in a few key spots. I haven't decided on any background stems yet. May pull from other tanks. Still a consideration.

UPDATE: Anubias nana petite,Golden Nesaea, Hydro tripartita

CO2: I will likely pump in CO2 post flood to prevent any chance of melting. Later, I will consider jettisoning this all together as the TrueLumen Pro may not put out enough PAR to make me excessively worry about algae.
Filtration: I nixed the UGF, and I'm going with a SunSun 403b coupled with two sponge filters that will be hidden. The SunSun will be attached to a Jaqno 1.5L external pre-filter for ease of maintenance and more bio. A steel pre-filter on the intake glass (likely acrylic) will further slow down flow.

ADDED: Purigen reactor via leftover RO/DI canister and parts.

Rocks: They are a combination of ADA and found rocks. Focused mostly on color for consistency. Obviously, since this is a 90p, all the rocks turned this from a 48 gallon to a.... great question. I don't know the size any longer. It could be more like a 25 now.

Plan: I want to dry-start this for a few months since MP is one of the slowest growers possible. Best-laid plans... so we'll see. I'm only a few weeks into it now. As I'm using an external reptile fogger to keep it uber-humid, it's not much of a hassle yet. The mini-pelia stays super damp on rocks, and not so much on branches. May use more willow moss then first thought.

The biggest part of the experiment will be to see how a dry-started moss like MP clings to the larger pebbles of the Akadama post-flood. For rocks? I've done this experiment already so I am not worried on that front quite yet. It will stick and flourish no problem.

***I should add that there is a handful of smaller, foreground rocks going into place soon that will be seen in newer updates. This is done to further tie the scape together and make it less disjointed.

See less See more
#151 ·
Well, pellia on wood will do ok as long as you have a ton of moisture, and your mp isn't too close to a hot light where it will dry out quickly. To combat this, I used a repti-fogger.

As for the TrueLumen Pros, I like them so much that I now have them on 3 tanks, and I plan to add them to my other 90p at some point as well. They are just terrific medium light fixtures I think. I only run them at 80% power on a dimmer on my 90p and it's plenty of light.

#153 ·
Congratulations, Man! I knew your aquascape would go far. As I said before your tank is easily my favorite tank on the forum. Actually.. it isn't a tank, it's a work of art ! You've done an amazing job. I love seeing this progress, and I look forward to seeing your future scapes

Keep up the amazing work!

#155 ·
Thanks my friend! I have to say, the grading details for this year's event are really strange. How are they going to police people in regards to who goes fishing for votes and who doesn't? How are they going to prevent the tanks from being known to the public by author? It seems impossible. I'm not sure they thought this all the way through. Seems like this year is kind of a mulligan in that sense.

#167 ·
i feel like im spamming your thread, sorry :( i think id go with a 12" and somehow extend it the whole way.. because they dont have an 18" the fixtures are just so sleek and small, and obviously they do a great job! plant-wise i would have anubias, java fern, moss, and crypt. everything low light

#169 ·
Haha don't say that! This thread will be bombs with questions. Haha! Especially because this is the same approach I'm goin to use on my tank.

In just worried about the light not spreading to the left and right sides. The scape I'm doing will have the plant masses on the left and right side. Sort of like the "two island" approach. But They are lowlight plants, so maybe it would be okay?

Is 12" the smallest it comes in? It it comes smaller, maybe get two small ones an put them going from the back of the tank to the front. And spread them over the main plant masses.

#178 ·
Yes, so many babies! I've counted about 30 at one time so far, but who knows how many I really have.

The bulb reflections combined with the color of your walls make it look like a sunset background. :)
I am pleased with this experiment. I think the lighting compliments the scape pretty well rather than detracting from it. Of course, perhaps just a little bit disappointed in myself for not figuring out the lighting before the contest submission, but there's always next year.

#186 ·
It is the same. I pretty much almost completely ignore this tank except for top offs once a week, shrimp food every other day, and a squirt of K every couple days.

The CO2 still still runs at 1 bubble every 2 seconds or so, 24/7. All the females are always pregnant, and I have babies everywhere. 100% survival for all my CRS, adults and babies alike.

I read a post the other day about CO2 in relation to caridina breeding, proliferation, and survival, and it's false. CO2 running 24/7 at less than a bubble per second in a 50 gallon with a large sponge filter for oxygenation doesn't slow down invert proliferation in the slightest.

Plant CO2 levels in a non-sponge filter tank? Of course, that will make a huge dent in your potential population.

#190 ·
Thanks my friend! I found out about this awhile ago, but life got in the way over the last several months so I haven't got to check in here much. I miss this place!

Also, I hope to have a newly scaped 90p up and running by January before my birthday. At least, that's my plan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.