The Planted Tank Forum banner

Reviving a 29Gal Pics

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  odamone 
#1 ·
I have to aplogize as I really feel ashamed to put these pics up in this forum next to all these fabulous tanks.

I had this 29 before I new what I was doing and you guys have helped a lot in just the past week. You can see the sad shape the plants are in. I started the DIY CO2 and now it is in the 20's and the plants are already rebounding. The new lights are on the way and am starting to slowy adjust the levels in the tank (most notably KH)

I got 2 plants that I have no idea what they are though. I'll post them below and if anyone has a clue PM me or drop a line here. Clicking on the photos should take you to a larger image. (nevermind the fish they love to be photgraphed.)

Thanks in advance for all your help!

See less See more
#3 ·
They do look nice TNG, but John is on the money. They plants will eventually die off.

Try looking into some Alternanthera reineckii to replace the red plant, and a small Sword plant to replace the speckled plant. They will do much better for you! :proud:

Mike

#4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I am going to wait for some of my readings to stabilizae and for the new light fixture to come in before I start throwing more plants in there. I bought those at a fish store about 2 weeks ago and really didn't know what they were. New lesson learned is don't buy plants unless you know for sure what they are. It's buying plants of the internet for me now (there aren't any good LFSs that sell plants.

#8 ·
I have already noticed changes due to the CO2. The radican is pushing up a new leaf that is very dark green this time instead of the pasty yellow it had been making. All of the plants are showing new growth. The light just came in yesterday so I am thinking they should start jumping. New plants are on order and should arrive today or tomorrow. I will take some pics after I get them planted.

#9 ·
Got the new plants in from aquariumpants.com and they are doing really well.

click on the picture to be look at a larger one

As you can see it is looker a lot better. I pulled the two non-aquatics and my Nitrates and Phosphates are beginning to drop finally. The Radican has pushed up two new leaves since the new light and the older ones have gotten much darker. Everything is growing like mad and I will try and put up new pictures in a week or so. Thanks for all your help.

{Now if I can only get this dosing stuff nailed it will all be good}

#10 · (Edited)
John P. said:
Neither plant is a true aquatic. You might want to pull them.
I had one of these in my tank (purple underside) and took it out upon reading this and stuck it in some dirt. It dried out and died the next day.

If it doesn't live in air, and doesn't live in water, maybe I should try putting it in fire?

#12 ·
I just wanted to post so everyone could see my new signiture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.