BGA keeps coming back! :( - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 07-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #31
Flear
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

isn't healthy water a good way to clear up BGA ?
seems to be the last thing people look at
Flear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #32
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flear View Post
isn't healthy water a good way to clear up BGA ?
seems to be the last thing people look at
Absolutely. But I've heard that dissolved organic compounds can be a cause of BGA. Keeping a clean tank, removing dead and dying leaves, and vacuuming the gravel if that's your substrate or removing mulm, changing your filter reduce DOC and can prevent BGA or reduce it if you already have it. Also removing it with a siphon and manually.
Django is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #33
Flear
Algae Grower

i've heard nitrates and anoxic substrate, BGA having an easier time when O2 is not very high. i don't recall where nitrates figured into things, but i have heard that brought up.

manual removal is all but ineffective. apparently marine BGA there are critters that will eat it, but nothing i've heard of in freshwater due to it's toxic nature.
Flear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:06 AM   #34
theericafish
Planted Member

Rather than start a new thread..

I'm currently dosing maracyn 1 to kill bga also.

What are the signs of it dying? I'm seeing a little bubbling on it and its going from a green/blue to a duller semi-whitish color but a lot of it still looks very green.

I'm on my second packet after the first 24hrs.

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2013, 03:26 AM   #35
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

As long as you maintain a decent NO3 residual in the water, not bottoming it out, BGA should not be an issue.

Like all algae, once you get it, you have to address what si there.....AND deal with the problem as to why you got it to begin with.

Doing just one of these does not work, you need to focus on the plants, and then get rid of the algae that is there.

So a BO or EM treatments do in fact work...........but they must be done with dosing KNO3 more or keeping up on them better. BO's are excellent, to show that killing it alone does not fix ANYTHING, YOU NEED TO FOCUS ON THE ROOT CAUSE.

Which is to say, focus growing your plants.
You do that, then algae is a minor issue.

I'm betting 99.99% of hobbyists want to grow plants, not learn 101 ways to kill algae. So focus there.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #36
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
As long as you maintain a decent NO3 residual in the water, not bottoming it out, BGA should not be an issue.

Like all algae, once you get it, you have to address what si there.....AND deal with the problem as to why you got it to begin with.

Doing just one of these does not work, you need to focus on the plants, and then get rid of the algae that is there.

So a BO or EM treatments do in fact work...........but they must be done with dosing KNO3 more or keeping up on them better. BO's are excellent, to show that killing it alone does not fix ANYTHING, YOU NEED TO FOCUS ON THE ROOT CAUSE.

Which is to say, focus growing your plants.
You do that, then algae is a minor issue.

I'm betting 99.99% of hobbyists want to grow plants, not learn 101 ways to kill algae. So focus there.
I totally agree with you but BGA is one of the few types of "algae" that I may get an infestation and treat it with EM, and it never comes back. It's still a last resort thing but once it gets too far ahead of my plants, especially if I have only HC or something similar, an EM treatment may be my only solution. HC just can't seem to keep of with BGA for me. One treatment and it's gone and never reappears, even in tanks that are set up for years.

Now on tanks with more than a foreground plant, different story. I often don't even touch it and it goes away, or just add KNO3 if it's getting worse fast.

I am by no means saying that finding the root cause is a bad thing and I always use EM as a last resort, but I will say it is one of those things for me, that when it's gone, it never comes back, no matter if I use EM or other ways.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #37
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

Had it once, got it on Myriophillum. Seems it likes that plant as I've got it only on this type

Disappeared by itself at some point, never dosed antibiotics. Tells me the root cause was resolved. Unfortunately, I can't tell what it was.

I clearly remember that I didn't changed half of my setup because of it. Me thinks the milis in the fertilizer dose grew a bit after its appearance.
danielt is offline   Reply With Quote