The Planted Tank Forum banner

My first tank - 20g Long

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  dubs83 
#1 ·
Here is my first planted tank. I am using the Walstad Method. Here is a list of the particulars:

Equipment:
20 gallon long tank
2 - 13 watt spiral cfls in 8.5" domed clamp lights
127 gph power head

Substrate:
Miracle Grow Organic Potting Mix
Aquarium Gravel

Plants:
Anubias, Java Fern, Cryptocoryne wendtii, Cryptocoryne wendtii (red), Anachris, Water sprite, Frogbit

Animals:
6 - Black Phantom Tetra

Possible future additions:
6 - Sterbai Cory
7-8 Harlequin Rasbora
1 - Dwarf Blue Gourami or German Blue Ram
6-8 Crystal Red Shrimp

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Here is my latest update:

I added a tube with muffler to my power head. It got rid of the protein film on the top of the water.
Water readings:
pH 7.5
Alkalinity 180 ppm
Hardness 150 ppm
Nitrate 0
Nitrrite 0

I did a 25% water change on Thursday. Lots of tannins still leaching from the wood.

I got some thread algae on one of the water sprites, but not on any other plants. I also have light green fuzz growing on the top half of the driftwood on the right. I changed the light schedule from 5-4-5 siesta mode to a 4-3-4. I hope that takes care of the algae.

Attachments

#12 ·
Ok, so the changing the light pattern kind of helped. The green hair algae is still there, but it has not grown any more hairs. The plants are doing great and so are the animals. I have not added any plants, but I have added the following: 6 Cardinal Tetras and 4 Amano Shrimp. I think I will add a couple of more Amanos. I did some research and 6 are recommended for a 20 gallon tank. I was going to go to my LFS anyway, because I have some pest snails that are poised to explode in population soon. I have two assassin snails, but I don't think only two can handle a tank this size.

Attachments

#16 ·
Latest Update: I bought the API Master test kit last weekend. I had been using the test strips, but always questioned the results. I will test the waters every Saturday and post the results. Here is what I measured last Saturday (10/27/12):
Temp - 78F
pH - 7.5
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm

No change in flora or fauna, but the Assassin Snails are taking care of the pond snail population.

I still don't have a great camera (I am working on it), so I am taking pictures with my cellphone. In my latest pic you can count all 8 Cardinal Tetras.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.