The Planted Tank Forum banner

No One WARNED me!

4K views 45 replies 34 participants last post by  aaronbrown 
#1 ·
:icon_eek: So, this all started with my taking a 35 gallon setup from someone for $20 (complete). Then I needed plants. Then my tank got contaminated with clado, so got a used 10 gallon cheap at Goodwill to QT and treat plants. Then I had too many plants, so got another used 10 gallon for pennies. Then, of course I needed substrate, fertilizers, and new lights. And then I learned my tap water equals liquid gravel, so now I need RO! All told, that cheap 35 gallon tank has resulted in $200+ of related gear! And this was supposed to be relaxing... :icon_roll

#5 ·
At least it is fun... and a good brain workout as I continue to need to learn more and more!

And then there was algae, so I bought snails, and then... (lol)

#9 ·
GH is 12+
KH <1

Before I invest in RO someone recommended I try a different test kit to be sure it is not old. But a LFS close by says his other customers from my town have the same challenges. (I can use the RO for my orchids, though, too, so it would do double duty).

#15 ·
lol! I just recalculated and by the time I get everything stocked, I will be well over $300!

I WOULD like some shrimp... RO definitely in order!

HELP!

PS - I work for a nonprofit, so I'm not exactly flush with cash, folks!

#28 ·
It has begun!!!!! You have gotten yourself into this bottomless pit we call our hobby!!!! LOL!!!
Yea, my $20 desktop betta tank with the cute little LED light has turned into $1000+ planted CO2 injected canister planted PIT OF HELL. I love it though! Oh, did I tell you about the $1 per gallon sale at Petco this weekend that's cost me $190 so far? LOL
LMAO!! stop keeping a running total or you'll realize that you are now infected with a form of insanity and qualified headshrinkers are expensive too.

#16 ·
Lol I work for nonprofit as well. I dunno I think RO is way overhyped. Though it is prob necessary for raising rare and expensive species of shrimp, you're just starting out. So I say skip the RO learn the ins and outs of a planted tank and then in the future invest in an RO system if you find that you can't grow a thing(with probably won't be the case)

#23 ·
RE: RO... I've read that most of the fish species I hope to keep appreciate softer water, so that factors in, too...

RO not included in my ever-mounting total! No fish either!

#25 ·
Ya, looking online they list wild-param's usually that the fish come from but doesn't mean that's what they can do fine. I've had my platys in 3 different tanks now from pH 6, gH 4, to pH 7.6, gH 9 and they are still breeding like nothing changed. Also, just plopped and dropped them too when I moved them from tanks.

Yes, it's an expensive hobby. That's why most of us start getting plants, shrimp, fish, something we can sell at some point and make a few bucks back or enough to upgrade or keep the hobby going. I'm almost out of prime, flourish, excel and RO remineralizer, not a bill I'm looking forward to getting from the LFS, and of course I can't go in there without wanting something else.

What you have is officially called MTS. Multiple Tank Syndrome. I started out with a few turtles and got a 39gal. Tank was too small, got a 55gal. They become aggressive with each other, used the 39gal and the 55gal. Wanted some fish, got a 10gal. Got some plants and shrimp. Got a 2.5gal for my GF who wanted a betta. It goes on but I now have the 10tanks in my sig in just over a year. Luckily, a lot of the plants I've gotten cheap, for free with shrimp purchases or just waited it out and propagated my own plants. Shrimp, started with a few of each breed and been patiently waiting for them increase the population.

#27 ·
Yea, my $20 desktop betta tank with the cute little LED light has turned into $1000+ planted CO2 injected canister planted PIT OF HELL. I love it though! Oh, did I tell you about the $1 per gallon sale at Petco this weekend that's cost me $190 so far? LOL

#31 ·
Yeah. :( Central Texas water is ... pretty hard. I'm surprised pebbles haven't shot out of the shower and brained me yet.

It should be ok as long as you acclimate your critters. Messing with the pH seems like a dangerous proposition as far as I've read (Granted, it seems easier to -raise- it than lower it).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.