The Planted Tank Forum banner

can someone help identify this parasite/fungus/algae in my cull tank?

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  GreenBliss 
#1 ·
this looks like some sort of fungus, and its taking over my cull tank, its not hydra. please help me figure out what it is, and how to treat for it, thanks.
this is how it looks from the inside of the tank:

this is from the outside

See less See more
#7 ·
Yuck! looks like Planaria on steroids. I would treat with paraguard for a couple days, if its a fungus or bacterial it will take care of it. If not, follow up with Pancur/fendazole. I thought recently I had Planaria, nope just cat hair stuck to my Sponge filters.:icon_redf

I see green spot algae according to this chart. http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_freshwater_algae.php

The white might be thread algae?

But I compared it to this site and it looks like the beginning of Staghorn and black hair algae. http://www.bubblesaquarium.com/images/home mid_photo/Article on Algae/freshwater_algae.htm

#10 ·
Looks like rotten food to me. My guess is you are overfeeding.

#11 ·
+1 on Black Brush Algae/Black Beard Algae              

#14 ·
You may not be overfeeding in the times per week, but how much you feeding per feeding?

But I am going to agree with DarkCobra, looks like green spot algae with fungus.
Ive seen fungus grow like that on my unfertilized frog eggs that I missed cleaning out. After a few days, it sprouts those fine white hairs of fungus and sometimes floats around the tank till I get it.

I have never seen my nerites eat it. Ghost shrimp will touch it sometimes, but not often.
I have also only noticed it when my nitrates get above 15

I would first double check your parameters and make sure your nitrates arent creeping up unexpectedly. Then work with a scrapper and a turkey baster and scrape and suck that stuff off and out of the tank.

#18 ·
It looks like the glass part of my BBA, its like fuffly bush growing from one point in the glass. I just remove it manually. I use a airline tube+ rigid tubbing for water changes, and when i am doing a WC, i use the rigid tubing to scrap the bba off and it gets suck out with the water.

Also, for some reason, Phosguard really helps. I removed some manually every water change and added about 2 table spoon of phosguard in a media bag to my hob, after a few weeks they were mostly gone.

#19 ·
I'm glad I saw this thread. I have been using fish fenbendazole for killing Planaria in my 18g and it's caused this algae to pop up on some moss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.