The Planted Tank Forum banner

my lighting fixture help

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Hoppy 
#1 ·
my friend gave me this lighting fixture and it has an external ballast, it seems to give a good amount of light for my 55 gallon. i do not think it was intended for aquarium use but i can waterproof it and retrofit it into the canopy. the information on the ballast is pretty scratched up and i found out this much about this: UL Listed ballast 619L CAT. PT340tp, volts 120, 30 or 40W

my questions:
1. there is a bit less than 48" fluorescent bulb already but i'm not sure what it is rated, is there a replacement bulb rated for 6500k-10000k?
2. can it moderately support a standard 55 planted tank? if not, what tank size would be suitable?

thanks for the help.

#3 · (Edited)
Hi pikachux3,

Here is the information on your ballast:
Ballast Type: Normal Power Factor, Plug Thru,
Input Voltage: 120
Start Method: Preheat
Watts: 30 Watts, 32 Watts, 40 Watts,
Lamp Type: F30T8, F30T9, F40T12, FC12T9,
1) You can use either a T8 or T12 bulb in your fixture. I would pick up either a "Daylight" T8 bulb (preferred) or T12 bulb, if you check the cardboard sleeve of the lamp the "K value" should be listed. Any value in the 6000K - 7000K should be fine.

2) Truthfully, probably not. A single T8 or T12 bulb over a 21" tall 55 gallon will not even provide light in the "low light" range. If I really wanted to use that fixture I would put it over two (2) 15 gallon tanks put end to end; at that height it would provide "medium/low" light.

#5 ·
If you can make a simple aluminum reflector to fit under the bulb, shaped like \_/, with the bulb in the middle, with the outer "legs" bent so you can see a reflection of the full bulb on each side of the bulb, then you will get plenty of light for a 55 gallon tank. The aluminum doesn't have to have a mirror polish, just so it is shiny. You can use aluminum flashing to make it, and find a way to attach it under the bulb. That type of reflector doubles the light you get from the bulb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.