The Planted Tank Forum banner

40gal long lighting

580 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Tvadna 
#1 ·
If you're not familiar with a 40 gallon long, they have an identical footprint as a 55gal. The big difference is that they are shorter in height. This seems more suitable for a planted aquarium so that light can penetrate easier, especially for foreground plants.

I'm planning on using t5ho but I have two options.
4x54w = 216w total
2x54w = 108w total

I'll absolutley be running co2 and using flourite as a substrate. I'm not sure what plants I'll be using yet but I don't want light to be a limiting factor. I'm leaning towards a carpeting plant like dwarf baby tears, blyxa japonica and limnophilia aromatica. Is 108w enough or should I go with the 216w to be on the safe side? Also.. out of curiosity, is there such a thing as too much light?

#4 · (Edited)
This is off topic to my original post. But it bothers me that so many people are getting a hard on over PAR, thanking their god and aren't looking hard enough into the whole PAR situation. Here is the problem with PAR as a standard right now...

The biggest problem with PAR is that the manufactuers do not make this information available to the consumer. In order to gain this information, you would have to satisfy two conditions. 1) you have a PAR meter. 2) you purchased a fixture. Sure you can figure out what PAR you currently have, but if its not what you want... You're basically back at square 1 and you're out the price of the fixture.

I know there is a chart comparing different fixtures but it really is misleading at best. The fixtures on the chart are different lengths and the number of bulbs is inconsistent. These two variables render the chart inconsistent. Its getting into the realm of apples to oranges.
A better chart needs to exist to explain how the length and number of bulbs will affect PAR.

#5 ·
Oh, and to relate my last post to the original post, the two fixtures I am considering are Odyssea 48" T5ho fixtures with no PAR info available! So to everyone/anyone who has sang the PAR praises... please explain to me how PAR helps me decide which fixture to choose?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.