The Planted Tank Forum banner

Desk lamp suggestion?

779 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  cnoel 
#1 ·
Hey everyone im somewhat new to planted aquariums and was wondering if this lamp would be good for "medium" lighting on a Spec V (5gal) and low tech. Im a little unsure due to the different input vs output watts.
I have looked at the different actual fixtures like the finnex and fugeray but those are more than I am wanting to spend right now.
Thanks!

Amazon.com: Sunlight Desk Lamp Natural Full Spectrum Sun Light. Simulates Daylight. 150Watt Output uses 27 Watts. Touch On/Off Switch.: Home Improvement
1) Color Temprature 6500Kelvin.
2) High lumen output of 1800. "Your light is as good as number of Lumens it provides".
3) Long lamp life of 10,000 hours.
4) Energy usage of 27 watts, light output of 150 watts.
5) 120 Volt AC 50/60Hz. Touch On/Off Switch.

#2 ·
That should give you good light, but I have no idea how much PAR you get from one of those. I have a very similar one, with that bulb, but the bulb is so old now it wouldn't mean much to try to measure the PAR from it. If I remember this tomorrow I will try to do so anyway.

#4 ·
I took some PAR readings on my wife's reading lamp, which is this type, but which has a pretty old bulb in it. It also has a white painted inside surface which will reflect a little light. Here is what I got:

I think you can assume that the light you are considering would do no worse than this and probably much better, maybe twice as good, with a new bulb. It should be good for a low light tank with the light about a foot or so above the substrate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.