The Planted Tank Forum banner

GLA Atomic Co2 Regulator Review- updated 2/6/2013

29K views 73 replies 34 participants last post by  dciano 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
ok.. set up in under 5 minutes. Attached to a standard tank with little trouble.

The only problem i see is that without a bubble counter, it would be semi hard for those new to the hobby to judge co2. I of course have a drop checker and will be checking it in 2 hours to see where i am.

I must say. It pairs nicely with my GLA atomic inline diffuser

#8 ·
I have an atomic regulator from GLA as well and I've got to say its one of my favorite regulators that I've purchased from them. It's very well-built and the needle valve allows for super-fine adjustment. They also look really cool!

Regarding bubble counters, the in-line type work just fine. You can hide it in your stand or attach it to the side of the aquarium. It really isn't too big of a deal IMO.

You can use these regulators with a reactor, but to be honest the atomic diffusers that they sell are going to be much, much more efficient than MOST reactors. I had a reactor on my 90G and I recently switched to a 45mm GLA atomic diffuser. I'm using about 1/3 the CO2 (BPS) with the diffuser compared o with the reactor, and i'm getting the same concentration level in my aquarium.

#11 ·
FYI, unless you were using the same working pressure with your reactor as you're using with the Atomic diffuser and you've not had to increase your working pressure substantially to accomodate the diffuser, then you're not using less CO2. The bubbles may be the same size but increasing the working pressure from 15 psi to 35 psi means you have a larger amount of CO2 occupying the same volume. It was discussed ad nauseum on the forum when the diffusers first came out.

#9 ·
As Philip (AzFishKid) said, you can use an inline bubble counter. Depending on your method of diffusion, you may not see much benefit. I find I really need one with my inline atomic reactor since I cannot see it working. If you use a reactor, which is possible with any CO2 setup I can think of, you could make it out clear PVC or buy a clear one so you can see the bubbles and therefore not need a bubble counter. Or you can make/buy an inline one.

Basically, you can use a bubble counter and a reactor on this, and other co2 systems, even if they are a complete kit. The regulator (not just this, any regulator) doesn't prevent you from using a reactor or inline bubble counter what so ever.

I know figuring out co2 is hard and don't mean to come off harshly, I just am trying to be thorough so you can make the right choice for your self.

I will say that I am very impressed by my atomic diffuser however. Never used a reactor but this is the best diffuser I have owned and being inline is a big perk as well. I don't like the actual look of the in tank ones compared to other options however which kind of matters to me so I don't know if I would buy the in tank ones, even though I know they work better than others I have used, I would just up the co2.

#10 ·
Looking at this regulator on the GLA site. It sure looks different. How it's so cheap compared to traditional style regulators? What would be pros/cons of this vs. the Nature Beast/ Primo systems? I have a small tank, so I wouldn't be using the atomic diffuser for now, maybe later on a larger tank.

#14 ·
Thanks for clearing that up-- obviously i wasn't correct in my assumption. Sorry if i misled anyone.

However, if i were running 10psi and 3bps with a reactor, wouldn't that be the same as 30psi and 1bps with an atomic diffuser? Or does the difference in volume not correlate that closely?

Regardless, i do believe that the GLA atomic diffusers are definitely some of the best on the market. The mist that they put out is much finer than what other atomic diffuser brands can do. While perhaps my previous statement about it being more efficient than a reactor may or may not be correct, the GLA atomic diffusers are extremely efficient themselves.

#20 ·
No I loved it was a really great starter reg. I am switching because I recently bought a 12 long so I got a good deal on I viktor reg to run both aquariums off of a 5lb tank. If you're interested in mine let me know. Only had for like 4 months running on my 20 long and is in new condition. A 20oz tank lasted me like 2 months pumping a ton using the in tank atomic diffuser and just recently ran one of the in line atomics with it on my 2213.

#22 ·
Thanks, but I'd rather just order from GLA. And I think you may have a paintball one, I need the CGA320 version. The reason I haven't ordered yet is exactly the reason you mentioned - I just can't make up my mind between the atomic and a traditional regulator, in case I want to run two tanks off one CO2 cylinder in the future.

#28 · (Edited)
My Atomic V3 Regulator has arrived! I was not prepared for how small it would be. It's really sleek, solid, and well-built. I'm glad I opted for this instead of a traditional two-gauge industrial regulator. I thought I'd post some pics for those who are interested. In the last pic you can see it installed on a 5 lb tank.

FWIW, Orlando has been amazing. I was setting it up this afternoon, I had a few questions, he answered each one within a few minutes, and is always happy to do so even when the questions are basic or a little dumb. For me, it was well worth spending a bit extra (ok, double) for this one vs. the Aquatek for the peace of mind, ease of use and awesome support.

#34 ·
i have the GLA Primo regulator and inline atomic diffusor, took me few day to figure out the flow(mainly cuz of leak i didnt notice right away) and now im runnin around 3bps 50psi. im very happy with it!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.