The Planted Tank Forum banner

New to Anchorage

4K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  sonaps 
#1 ·
I just moved to Anchorage from Utah. Anyone here in the hobby? I’ve been to one place at the Sear’s Mall that had some plants, but they were in real poor condition. They did have a decent selection of fish though. I’ve priced some Co2 tanks too. They are about 3 times as expensive here as they were in SLC. The movers wouldn’t take gas tanks of any kind. Too bad, now I have to drop a bunch of money on a used tank that I have to trade in every time.

#2 ·
Lately the Reef's plants have been in fairly good condition. The plant tanks at the two Pet Cos are ok, and sometimes you can find good plants at the Petzoo down in south anchorage. (There's also a Pet Zoo in Wasilla, which might be closer to you.)

Looks like you moved to Angerage about the same time I did. ('course I moved down from Fairbanks. . .)

#3 ·
Welcome to the Planted Tank AlaskanCorydoras! It’s nice to see another Alaskan resident here. I’d ask how you like living in a warmer city now, but it’s not been all that warm here this weekend has it?

The Reef is hit or miss with plant quality. The owner has her own planted tank though, so at least there is an interest there.

We actually have a Pet Zoo right here in Eagle River. The plant selection is pretty sparse though. I’ve not really found much around town that I’ve been that impressed with. I ended up getting all my plants from members here in the Swap n Shop forum.

What plants are you keeping right now? I’ve got a mix of high and low light plants in my tank that are all doing real well. I just did a huge trim on Saturday and threw out a bunch of plants. But I’ll have more in a few weeks. If you need any plants let me know. I’d be happy to give you some, or trade with you if you have anything interesting.

#4 ·
Nothing interesting yet, I'm affraid. Currently I'm growing Wisteria, corkscrew vals, and Java Fern. I received my 90 gallon tank today (Special ordered it through PetCo. . . free shipping!) and I'll be spending the next couple days aquascaping it before I put plants and water in. Going to be putting vals and wisteria in the back, java fern in the mids, and hopefully (If Terrie can get some) dwarf baby's tears as all over ground cover.

#5 ·
How did the aquascaping go? Since you’re planning to use HC (Dwarf Baby Tears) I assume you’ll be running high light and pressurized CO2. That’s what I’m running. I had a bunch of HC a few weeks ago, but I tore most of it up and replanted. I’ll have more in a few months if you still need it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.