The Planted Tank Forum banner

56G~Back in oper-(modification)~

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  MikeP_123 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my second "legit" take at this 56gal tank. My first one was a slope kind of scape where I had my first encounter with breeding gold rams... and boy did I fall in love. It ended up looking something like this before they came out of no where... the algae!!! LOL

That was about two years ago I guess... I'm back stayin with my dad for the summer and he urged me to fix up my empty tank soo :icon_bigg I took up the challenge. :cool: This is the hardscape I decided on. (took a while but with a lot of silicone and a little bit of gravity I got that large piece secure :icon_wink).

and here she is full of water and random plants scattered around :icon_bigg

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks!!!! It's good to hear someone likes it :proud:

Sorry for posting so many replies at once. Have a lot that has happened in the setup of this tank that I want to share with everyone.

First off... I love gold rams lol, as you can tell in my avy :icon_bigg. Can't wait till they mature enough to start breeding. About a week ago when I got them they were difficult to distinguish the sexes (due to their young age) but just in that time they are starting to show the signs and pair up!!! :icon_smil I hope the male turns out as stunning as my last one! Oh, and the female is much more brilliant than my last so hopefully the offspring will turn out phenomenal! ~~~ Free Rams For Everyone!!! :flick:

The real surprise was with my harlequin rasboras were introduced. It only took them a day and a half to start mating... and it says on those profile websites that its rare in aquariums :proud: So I took some pics!
~Warning, Viewer discretion is advised~
~Material may not be appropriate for children under the age of 18~ :icon_roll

At first I didnt see any eggs but then I noticed that they shoot out clusters of ~10 or so eggs that dont stick to the leaves but fall to the bottom... and provide a new variety of food for my rams :fish: I'm setting up another tank to raise a few of these if I get the chance. Anyway, really cool to watch!

#3 ·
I'd say the tank is only about 3 weeks old so I'm having diatom issues... just ignore the brown :icon_roll

My livestock consists of:

2x Gold Rams
10x Harlequin Rasboras
3x otos
2x amano shrimp
1x big apple snail

:tongue:

and here are some pics!

#7 ·
Hard scape is awesome! Get some vals or something else tall to put in behind that big rock outcropping to really make it pop.

Congrats on the rasboras spawning too!
Thanks guys! I really liked the hardscape myself. First time messing with rocks... and boy did it take a lot of messing around and cut fingers to get this right :redface: I have come to realize planting is not my forte so thanks for the advice :proud:

#6 ·
Hard scape is awesome! Get some vals or something else tall to put in behind that big rock outcropping to really make it pop.

Congrats on the rasboras spawning too!

#8 ·
UPDATE:

Well... Lost a ram and a few rasboras to what I assume was the stresses involved with a bad bacterial/amonia bloom =/
My male ram survived but I believe he died of lonesomeness later which was sad because he showed no signs of bad health, just a few hours prior he was eating blood worms out of my hands =(

I have decided to just stock it with the harlequins and give them a chance to breed, at least until I find another good pair.

Question
I have just found a few worms in my tank that seem to be growing/eating my algae. They resemble the freeze dried tube flex worms I feed my fish but I don't see how they could survive the freeze drying process. Maybe the eggs can???

Anyway, can anyone help me with IDing these worms and give any info/suggestions about how to treat it if they are dangerous. If not then I guess there just another food source

here's the pics from closest and zooming out from there to give an idea of their size.

#10 ·
I'm not sure what the worm is but I have the same thing. I have found no correlation with the worm and fish death. I don't think they are a problem. My scarlet badis loves to eat them. I really don't like they way they look or swim if disturbed, but it is free fish food.

I've heard its nematodes but I've never gotten a solid ID on them.

#11 ·
TANK IS AWESOME!!!

Over looking the algae! ;) SORRY about the fish loss too! Is it from the tank cycling? How is your ammonia and Nitrites?

On the worms I was told the same as Couesfanatic! I know all my fish LOVE THEM!!! Usually they pop up in the substrate when there is a lot of organics built up is what I have been told and read. Mine showed up where there was little current and when there was little fish load too. They didn't have to fear anything in my tank when there was NO FISH in it for a while, and they populated the tank quickly. Then came the guppy's and the worm population went to nothing!!! LOL

So I wouldn't worry about the worms, and check your ammonia/nitrite levels in the tank, and let us know how they turn out!

Love the Scape!
Drew

P.S. I love the Golden Rams too!!!!

#12 ·
Well it is time again! Summer is back and so am I. The tank is currently housing 3 Angelicus Loaches, with 3 or 4 more on the way. They look absolutely amazing against the black rocks! The plant growth is stunted hard, but no algae.... so getting those to grow is my next project. Here's a pic of what the loaches look like (the one on the left) for you who dont know, pics to be posted soon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.