The Planted Tank Forum banner

Can I fit discus?

812 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  alan924 
#1 ·
Hey, I'm setting up my 56gal and trying to figure out what I want to do with it. It will be right smack in the middle of the family room so I wanted something showy, and whats more showy than discus! Only prob is I'm not sure if it's long enough.

The tank is a 56gal with the dimensions of 30" long, 23" high, and 18" wide. Its a tall wide tank but not sure whether or not they like a longer or taller tank.

Also chime in with any other "showcase" fish that could be an option :wink:

#4 ·
Right.

And the MOST important thing is - Make sure you buy them from a good source - a reputable, experienced, discus breeder or importer who is known for keeping/raising healthy, well-shaped fish ! Resist the temptation to get them @ a LFS - you won't get healthy, quality stock from the majority of them, you'll pay more, and they'll very likely be very susceptible to disease or other ailments, in addition to being poorly shaped.
It may help you to have a read of my 'Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Discus' in the simplydiscus.com forum. Here's the link:
www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus

#8 ·
Well thanks for the tip guys! And where would I find this "forrest" man? And as far as tank mates, I heard both cories and rams. But I know cories are cold(er) water and discus like warm(er) water. And the rams like soft water while discus like it slightly hard.

#9 ·
Forrest discus are sold by Kenny's Discus in Daley City, Ca. and he ships throughout the U.S., I'm sure.
I'd be surprised if there wasn't also a discus outlet in Miami that sells Forrest fish, but I may be wrong.
A number of types of Cories (e.g. Sterbai, Bronze, Emerald, Pepper) and some Rams, particularly GBR's, make excellent discus tankmates, as do Cardinal Tetras, Rummynoses, Harlequin & Copper Rasboras, Hatchet Fish, etc. - the list goes on.

While some discus tankmates prefer lower temps than discus require, they nevertheless adapt and do quite well, although their life spans may be shortened somewhat due to the higher temp. Discus thrive in any pH ranging from 6.0 to 8.0, so long as it's steadily maintained.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.