The Planted Tank Forum banner

16' x 4' planted tank... New Pictures on Page 16...dinner plate discus!

91K views 281 replies 113 participants last post by  Cryptocorynic 
#1 · (Edited)
Tank- 16'x 4'x 4'. 2000 gallons with a 2 hp pump. The plan... to set up a heavily planted tank with South American fish. Metal halide lights, ADA substrate, pressurized co2, auto dosing of ferts, Lots of wood and cool plants along with some common ones too.

Here is a link for the Bar and the location of the tank in downtown Seattle(picture on link is of old scape). I will be done with planting this next Thursday or Friday(June 15/16 2006). I will update pictures and keep a update in the growth and prunning(which I don't plan to do for at least 2 months (unless the fast grower get unruley).

Bare tank in place pre ada

I will post more pictures and info Once we get closer to completion.

More pictures....

This Tank is unussual as you can actually walk all the way around the tank.

Overflow box 10" x 10"

power sand base layer 3" thick.

Levelled sand!

Rock work and ADA soil going in. Rick the owner giving a hand!

Wood work nearly complete.

Looking Southwest.

Looking Northwest.

close up of South east corner.

south end woodscape.

The Channel.....

North end wood and rock Scape.

Back of tank South end

Back of tank North end.

Trevor helping me prep the plants.

Plant layout and setup.

Tank drained and planting started.

I need to get down there and get some better pictures of the planting. We are still about halfway there.

More Pictures Page 8 post 113. Link

cheers, Whitepine

See less See more
#7 ·
90 gallon tank = 180lbs substrate. 2000 gallon tank would use ~ 2 tons of substrate. Just my guess.

#8 ·
ADA is a little different though, it is lighter than other substrates. Just calculated it out haha, my guess was pretty acurate. He needs right about 50 bags for 3 inches of substrate. Each bag of AS weighs 20 pounds so about 1000 pounds of substrate. (16x12)x(4x12)=9216 sq inches x 3 inches = 27648 cu inches x 0.016387064 (liters in a cu inch) = 453.069545472 liters / 9L (each bag of AS contains 9L) = 50.341060608 bags

a good 1300 dollars in substrate before shipping.

#9 ·
Man, this thread is gonna rock!

#10 ·
I was contracted to help design and set up the scape on the tank.... so it is not mine but belongs to a local business. We ordered 50 bags of ada along with an extra ton of sand for a base layer and unplanted areas. I will start posting pictures this weekend.

Cheers, Whitepine

#12 ·
Now, THAT'S a project! So, you gonna put in lots of fast growers so you have to prune it weekly, so you can turn it into an extra source of income ;)? Oh, and then you could harvest the trimmings....

Sorry, let my mind go a bit wild there!

Keep us informed. This one should be fun to watch develop.
Brian.

#13 ·
whitepine said:
I was contracted to help design and set up the scape on the tank.... so it is not mine but belongs to a local business. We ordered 50 bags of ada along with an extra ton of sand for a base layer and unplanted areas. I will start posting pictures this weekend.
So are we talking a unlimited supply of cash? This thread is going to rock I am becoming a subscriber. :eek5:

#16 ·
This is a great thread in the works. It is refreshing to see that a business tank at such size and magnatude will be planted and not a reef tank. I tried explaining to people that a planted tank can be every bit as interesting and aesthetic as a reef, but until they see it, it is a hard sell. Can't wait to see this baby in the works~ good luck!

#21 ·
ianiwane said:
haha, how many bags are you going to need for that tank? I am estimating like 50. Lets have a contest, haha
I win Ian, sort of. He said two tons total...haha :)

#26 ·
It's a Bar/night club. I will post more pictures and info starting this weekend. This is the second tank to go in there... the first one blew a seam after the first of the year... and needed to be replaced. It was heavily planted before, but the owner wanted a new look and feel. He contacted me to help set it up and scape it. What's cool is I Actually bought plants from some members here such as gw11ucb to help support Summer program at UC Berkeley! helping to pass on the green!

Cheers, Whitepine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.