The Planted Tank Forum banner

Ordering plants off eBay...good or bad idea?

2K views 15 replies 16 participants last post by  Indychus 
#1 ·
Is ordering plants off eBay a good or bad idea? Dont want to open a box of dead plants, so let me know what you think or where you guys get your plants
Thanks

#4 ·
This forum or Aquabid. I wouldn't bother with ebay as most of the sellers on there are from overseas and it's a crapshoot whether customs opens and destroys your package (or puts you on some watchlist). Any US seller on Aquabid is great though, as is everyone on this forum. Post a WTB in the WTB/RAOK section if you're looking for something and chances are tons of people here have it.

#5 ·
Agree with the above. If you are planning on getting a lot of plants right away aquarium plants.com is good. Just got plants from them a few weeks ago. Shipping is high if only getting a few plants but can do well if ordering a large amount. Also my experience with their customer service was good, I had a few plants missing from my order, they sent them out the next week no questions asked and no additional shipping cost.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

#7 ·
+1 for Aquariumplants .com.... I've used them a few times for big orders and haven't been let down yet. They don't have much rare stuff but they do have a large variety.

#6 ·
If the plants are coming from over seas, Id say there is a larger chance they might be dead. Not to mention going through customs and what not. I ordered pinnafold from Japan during winter. It came out dead (what was I thinking?). Besides that aquabid or even better, right here.

#10 ·
#13 ·
I made the mistake of ordering Christmas moss off eBay. Its been two months and its just starting to recover. That and I'm still not real sure its actually Christmas moss. The plus side is that when I took it out of quarantine and it hit the big tank with lots of light and co2 I found some kind of hitch hikers that are starting to loom pretty good. Hopefully they will be big enough to identify soon.

Yay free plants!

I still wouldn't buy from them again.

#14 ·
Honestly, I've never seen anything on ebay that I thought was worth purchasing. I feel their portions are too small for the price. Here on the forums, you get higher quality plants, and you can check out the sellers tanks and read about their growing experiences.

#16 ·
I bought a lot of plants from ebay and have never had a bad experience. They always arrived quickly and in good shape. Most of them came from aquaticmagic. Once I found this forum though, I haven't bought from ebay again. Much better quality and variety and generally better prices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.