The Planted Tank Forum banner

T5 lighting for 6'x2'x2' *trouble shooting*

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  crowndroyal 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I bought myself a T5 fixture from work as they bought a skid full to replace a bunch of old lighting. They are a 6' fixture with 4 bulbs.

I can not hang the light above the tank as I have no place to hang from that's suitable, So it would have to be placed ontop of the glass.

Need to know what wattage and bulbs to buy that will be best for showing the color of my cichlids Demasoni and chilumba. I will latter be growing some moss in the tank as well.

All the help will be appreciated.

#3 ·
You didn't provide enough information to get a good answer. A T5 light could be a normal output (HE high efficiency output) or it could be a high output HO. The ballast determines which it is. It could have no reflectors, just white painted housing, or a very good, well shaped, polished aluminum reflector for each bulb. It could have a ballast for each bulb, every 2 bulbs, or all of the bulbs on one ballast. Exactly what do you have?

#4 ·
ok well here is all the info on the box.

company is Lithonia Lighting

it is I-Beam ibz florescent high bay

T5HO

it has 1 ballast in side from what I see

a centium ICN-4554-90C-2LS-G from philips.

there is 4 46" 54w bulbs each bulb has what looks to be chromed aluminum reflectors.

is that enough info ?

#7 ·
The bulbs will have to be 54 watt T5HO bulbs, that is all that you are likely to find available Since those are standardized you can buy from a very wide selection of color temperatures and manufacturers. But, if all 4 bulbs are used, it will be far too much light if it sits on top of the tank. And, as far as I can see, that is a 4 foot long fixture, not a 6 foot long one. I don't see anything on the Lithonia website about 6 foot long lights with 4 foot long bulbs.

#8 · (Edited)
I thought it was 6' as my boss said it was 6' they are 4' as you can clearly see.

I want to know what bulbs are gonna be best for my demasoni and chilumba I will need an aquatenic can I not hook up a dimmer switch inside ? so I can have it ontop my tank etc how do I put each light on timers etc do I need to add 3 more balasts ?

would something like these work http://energy.te.com/index.asp?act=page&pag_id=2&prl_id=4&pls_id=404&prf_id=949&prr_id=1759

#9 ·
any updates on this ?
can I wire in a dimmer ?
where is the best and cheapest place to buy bulbs ?
what color and spectrums ?
can I control all 4 bulbs seperatly with out additional ballasts ?
will a T8 ballast work if the above answer is no ( as long as it has same voltages etc )

or is there a thread that touches base on this in here ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.