The Planted Tank Forum banner

Growing duckweed ( Lemna minor ) in the aquarium.

27K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  bpm2000 
#1 · (Edited)
I have had a recient desire to grow duckweed. Now I have read that some people will have their tank covered with it in less then a week. But not me. It seems I stuggle just to keep a few leafs alive.

I believe the species I have is Lemna Minor, that is to say 'common duckweed'. I have a few problems questions as it many of them seem unanswered in my searches.

Firstly my duckweed seems to get pushed around by my filter. It gets knocked under water, and sucked up the filter in-take. What do you do about that? Right now I have a small floating plastic ring, made from the top of a plastic cup, to corral the duckweed untill further growth occurs.

Another thing is, I have a low-light tank. I figured the duckweed would do better if it was closer to the light, so I try to keep the water full up to the brim. Is this a good idea?

Thanks!

#6 ·
I have a tank with a HOB that blows the duckweed around like crazy and it still grows like mad. I have less than 2 wpg...

#7 ·
I adjust the output of my canister filter to just give my duckweed a little movement. It grows like mad too. I just dose Watsons ferts useing the EI method and have 130 watts on a 29. I throw about a large table spoon of it away every week.
If anybody wants some. I'll send it just for the shipping of maybe $5.00

#9 ·
WAIT! DON"T DO IT!

That's like looking for a pet cockaroach... once you get one....

I can't get rid of mine... its everywhere- its on all the tanks - its all over the house as a matter of fact- it clings to your hands and skin and tools and then it gets everywhere. I have found it in my kitchen cabinets, in my underwear drawer, I've even come to work with a little piece stuck in my hair....

#10 ·
Wow, sounds like the sand problem living on the Gulf Coast.

Turbosaurus has a point...some folks absolutely hate this stuff. Others kill it immediately and can never get it to grow. Then there are those who seem to have made their peace with it. Regardless, it is a personal choice and crayfish seems to want to know how to grow it. Crayfish, do you have any critters in your tank that might be eating it? Some fish do seem to love it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.