The Planted Tank Forum banner

Conflicting KH tests - advise please

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Ace 
#1 ·
I have Aquarium Pharm, Tetra, and Azoo KH test kits.

They read my tank water as follows:

Tetra - 6 KH *
Aquarium Pharm - 8 KH *
Azoo - 5 KH *

I have always used the Tetra test. But, as that bottle is starting to run low, I tried out the other two KH tests (they came as part of a 'deluxe' test kit).

Any experience/recommendations? I'm a bit disappointed with these results. Accuracy is pretty important when dosing CO2 :x .

Ted

*tested 3 times each - same results

#2 ·
I use Hagen and the result is exactly the same as Jungle. But I had an experience before that when you store a used test bottle, the tip sometimes got a dry build up of the solution and make the drop size unstable. You may want to try clean up all the bottle tips first and do another test.

#3 ·
For anyone interested, I bought a high-quality KH test (salifert) and compared the results to my less-expensive tests. It matched up with the Aquarium Pharm test.

To be fair, the Tetra test was about 10 years old. I don't know what kind of shelf-life these tests are suppose to have, but I can understand if 10 years can create a loss of accuracy. As for the Azoo test....it was brand new; so that one gets the thumbs-down.

#4 ·
I like the Azoo Products but don't trust their test kit...lousy ones.. I use Aquarium Pharmaceutials for KH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.