The Planted Tank Forum banner

What's wrong here?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Ace 
#1 ·
I have a few questions but let me start by saying %#&%@. Damn, after reading many algae threads to see what's going on, I concluded:
- too much nutrients = algae
- too much lighting + not enough plants = algae
- not enough nutrients = algae
- proper nutrients + not enough plants or lights = algae

Basically, too much or too little of something = algae.

How do you guys eliminate the algae problems? Basically there is no exact target amount on any micros and macros, correct? Do you have to balance it yourself or the algae will eventually go away if you follow the exact amount suggested for fertilizing, CO2, lighting etc?

All my planted tanks are between 1 to 3 months old. Is this why I'm going thru the up and down of algae? I can have a algae free tank for a week, then followed by algae growth, and back to free algae again.

Does algae cleaning crew really a must in planted tanks?

#2 ·
It is kind of like spinning a basketball on your finger, once you get it spinning and in place it is pretty easy to balance. But if you move your hand just a little bit, it spins wildly out of control. Luckily it is easier to maintain the ‘spin’ on an aquarium when you get it up there in balance. :wink:

Algae crews are not just a fad, they are a good idea, but not a necessity. If you can keep your tank balanced then you don’t need them, but they are good at keeping the algae at bay if the tank begins to ‘spin’ off center. They will be eating any algae (which they would normally eat) that exists in your tank which makes it harder for those ‘repressed’ algae to bloom.

#3 ·
It is a balancing act. But once you get it down, then things can be pretty smooth. I am working on a new tank and trying to find the right balance now, however, in my previous tank, I was able to find the right balance of lighting, CO2 and plants and then the care became quite easy.

Right now, I am working on how much lighting, CO2 and inhabitants. It can be a struggle and quite frustrating.

#5 ·
yeah..if something goes wrong, algae will sneak up...hehehe

i used to pump co2 2 bubbles per second and get the pH to 6.4 and buffer the kH to 3-4 dkh and starts fertilizing with Seachem Flourish 4 ml per day. everything works fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.